Author Topic: Juddering brakes  (Read 42068 times)

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
Re: Juddering brakes
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:58 pm »
Had a problem with mine this week. Couldn't resolve it in the normal way - as above.

Stripped front calipers - found one sliding caliper pin on the nearside was seized - thus caliper not free to move squarely.

Removed pin, cleaned up pin and hole and smeared with CopaSlip.

Refitted with new Mintex discs and pads (new parts - bargain from eBay supplier) ....... now lovely  :)

Offline wiganlatic

• TS Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07:58 pm »
Well the official Mazda discs are now juddering too.
I am going to try the clean up method as I simply can't believe that the discs have changed shape in any way or form.
I think I'm going to get the mechanic to check the sliders etc... again.
If you get them skimmed surely that is identical to having new discs fitted?  If it wasn't you'd surely feel runout from the very first moment on the new discs?  If discs are forged how can the heat generated from braking effect them???

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 01:46:07 pm »
I can't answer any of your questions wiganlantic, but what I can confirm is that it has been 8 months since I had my brake discs skimmed and the brakes are still very smooth to operate. As I reported earlier, it's a known fault with the discs and dealers are aware.

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 08:50:10 am »
I had a front brake problem recently on my 2011 car at 57,000 miles.

Found one of the caliper sliding pins had seized, so brake pedal pressure was trying to push disc sideways, instead of squeezing it.

Disc skimming on car was available at a brake centre. More than twice the price of new discs and pads though.

Got new genuine Mintex discs (£47/pair) and pads (£24/set) from an eBay retailer (Premier-Factors) ..... very cheap. You can phone them and they'll advise what you need and give you the eBay iterm reference. Free shipping too

Offline PTG_Chef_uk

• S Class
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 07:28:32 pm »
Hey all, new here :)

I too am having this juddering under braking but I am also getting vibration when driving above 50mph. At 70mph and I have to hold the wheel with both hands to stop it.  Are the two linked or do I have a separate issue on top of the juddering? Car is a 2011 Sport (180). Had a new front near-side tyre fitted in October, new front pads fitted in November, and a new front off-side tyre fitted last week. Any advice or info is much appreciated :)

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 04:43:50 pm »
The vibration and juddering are two different things. The vibration above 50 mph is probably a wheel balancing problem. Get back to your recent tyre supplier and ask them to re balance the wheel. The juddering is a brake issue.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 07:23:36 pm »
Don't know if this is anything to do with problems mentioned, but in the past we had a problem with a car brakes, the discs had warped slightly. The explanation was put forward that due to violent braking from speed or running downhill whilst relying on the brakes only. On stopping  then the driver leaving his foot on the brake pedal caused the problem. In effect it fried the linings and discs.Not letting them have air circulation.
It cost us, the company, a new set of pads and discs to sort the problem.
We were told it is an easy thing to do .

Offline PTG_Chef_uk

• S Class
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 07:49:32 am »
The vibration and juddering are two different things. The vibration above 50 mph is probably a wheel balancing problem. Get back to your recent tyre supplier and ask them to re balance the wheel. The juddering is a brake issue.

Took her back in yesterday and indeed there was a balance issue. F/N/S was off by 25gms and F/O/S was off by 5gms. All set to below 5gms and off home I went. Note the lower 5gms was from the new tyre bizarrely.

On the way in to work today though and the vibration is still there and still as strong so I'm now fearing it could be something worse. Any ideas on what or wear to check?

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 04:53:54 pm »
I'm sorry to hear you still have vibration problems. From the way you describe the issue it seems as though the it's coming from the front wheels. Try swapping the front and rear tyres to see if the situation improves. Keep the tyres on the same side of the car though. If it does improve then you know where the problem lies.

Offline metalmickey

• Sport Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 06:51:40 pm »
Just had my front discs and pads changed by local mechanic ?100 parts and fitting.
Could have changed myself but know how differcult it can be to get old discs off, wise choice as he eventually had to drill out the disc retaining screws as they were seized.
Had juddering for few months when braking on slip roads from motorways so knew they needed changing.

Regarding the vibration agree with bazzamf about swapping the fronts and rears, did you have the rears balanced as well.

Offline PTG_Chef_uk

• S Class
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:39 am »
Yep, tyres are always balanced.

Am I ok to use the kit in the boot to swap the wheels with or is that deemed unsafe? If so what relatively cheap jack should I buy?

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 08:18:14 am »
Am I ok to use the kit in the boot to swap the wheels with or is that deemed unsafe?

What makes you say that ??
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline PTG_Chef_uk

• S Class
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 12:59:58 pm »
I've always assumed it was for emergency use only same as the spare tyre :/

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 05:16:04 pm »
Provided you are careful, follow the instructions on changing a wheel contained in your handbook and apply the normal standards of safety, there is no reason why you cannot use the OEM jack and wheel brace that is provided, to change your wheels around.

Utilising the spare wheel, replace one wheel at a time. Just think out the sequence before you start.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 05:46:03 pm »
I've used the screw jack provided in all my cars loads of times especially when servicing them. Just make sure you locate it in the correct positions on the car. Your handbook will show the precise locations. They are just beneath the door sills, behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels.