Author Topic: Mazda 2.2 diesel Skyactive buyers BEWARE.......  (Read 13095 times)

Offline Yorkshire pud

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
Mazda 2.2 diesel Skyactive buyers BEWARE.......
« on: July 01, 2017, 06:46:14 pm »
This is my first and probably my last post with a tale of woe. Bought a - 2013 Mazda 6  2.2 Diesel sport, 80,000 miles, 1 owner, full service history, for £9,500 from a reputable car supermarket. Fantastic looking car with great leather interior and plenty of power. On day 3 of my ownership I took it to 60 mph on a country road intending to give it a bit more. At 60 mph the yellow engine light came on and a message "engine check required" so I backed off to 40 and continued my journey. The car sounded and drove normal. When I next started my car the light was out, but I decided to report the matter to the dealership. They did a test and said it needed a new oil pressure sensor so it was booked in for a few days later. They said it was ok to drive. The day before it was due to go in I was doing 40 mph and the red light came on with a message "stop, low oil pressure, check oil level, potential engine damage". I stopped, checked the oil and it was on the normal full level mark (not the x). I started the car and it sounded normal with no message showing so I drove at 1000 rpm the last short part of my journey home (hoping it was a sensor problem). Mazda dealers examined the car and said it needed injectors replacing, sump removing and the oil pump and strainer checking. When the sump was removed the engine was found to be damaged beyond economical repair (even though it drove and sounded normal).
Fortunately for me the dealers gave me a full refund and couldn't have been nicer about it.
I have read many forums and there seems to be more reports of oil contamination due to injector seals failing and oil pump strainers becoming blocked and there for starving the engine of oil. Along with DPF issues and having to reset various engine lights after an oil service I have steered clear of this Mazda engine and now own a newer Insignia with a lot more spec and manufacturers warranty. I sleep a lot better at night. Good luck everyone with your 2.2 engines (even if they are fully serviced). 

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Mazda 2.2 diesel Skyactive buyers BEWARE.......
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
But did you check out the problem with certain 2013 models on the forums failure of hardening on the camshaft metal in the oil that's what does all the damage imho should have been a recall hey ho
Good luck with your Vauxhall
Cheers steve  8)

Offline Yorkshire pud

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:44:42 am »
Yes i found that my car engine number fell within the batch of suspect camshafts (after i bought it). I was hoping to get a full service history from mazda hoping the camshafts had been replaced but i never got that far. Mazdas are great cars. Ive owned 2 mx5s in the past ( 1 with 130,000 miles on the clock) which never gave me a moments trouble. I just believe this diesel engine is starting to show issues. Cheers.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:41:47 am »
Did you get a refund for the car or did you lose the money?

Offline Yorkshire pud

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 02:29:16 pm »
I was given the choice of choosing an alternative car or a complete refund. I took the refund including £450 admin fee and extra years warranty cost. I hate to think that if this had happened 12 months down the line i would be stuck with a car requiring a complte replacement engine.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 05:56:46 pm »
Yes after 14 plates that problem sorted BUT IMHO it should have been a recall to stop all the damage to engines snd reputations. So make you right if you are treated like that you go else where.
Cheers Steve  ??? 8)

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:30:15 pm »
Mazda should not make diesel engines. They are rubbish. I had an MZR-CD and the Skyactiv one as well. Even thogh I had no issues with the MZR-CD, the Skyactiv is a big mistake. Even carmechanics say that japanese makers should not make diesel engines. On the other hand, their petrol ones are absolutely bulletproof. But to be honest next year I will sell Mine and I think this is going to be my last Mazda for Good.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline Yorkshire pud

• S Class
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 09:00:18 pm »
I thought I had done my homework before buying it as I always check owners forums for issues, but this slipped through the net. There are obviously thousands of cars out there that run OK. Mine had done 80,000. But when the hammer falls its a gut wrenching feeling having paid £9,500 for a car with full service history , one owner, that is generally a bit of security when buying a used car. As mentioned earlier, I was lucky that it happened in the first week of my ownership so I was covered financially. As Forest said "sh** happens". Good luck everyone.

Offline easyal

• S Class
  • Colour: Strato Blue (25E) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-Nav
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:34:51 am »
Exact same thing that happened to Yorkshire Pud happened to me. Have had my 2.2 Mazda 6 2013 for 15 months now. Since I bought it, having engine rebuild now- £1800, previously had to replace rear calipers for £700. That's £2500 plus the £9000 it cost me to buy!

Do NOT buy this car.