Author Topic: Discussions about DPF  (Read 166378 times)

Offline ghm5

• S Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2010
Re: Discussions about DPF
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2015, 07:26:44 pm »
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum, I have a Mazda 6 2.2 diesel I am having some problems with frequency active regens of the dpf does anyone have any advice? My car does this every 60 - 80 miles (every second day), I am in talks with Mazda and they have tried....egr cleaning, injector relearns but this hasn't helped and they can't find anything wrong, they say the dpf levels are okay and the car is fine. I travel mainly on A roads and motorways. Thanks hope someone could maybe help with previous experiences. The cars great apart from this issue.

Offline sjz6065

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2015, 06:38:45 pm »
Hey everyone, new to the forum, names ryan and i  drive a 2011 takuya mazda 6. recently bought the car about 3 months ago and now having problems with the DPF but thankfully will be fixed under Mazda warranty. the question im asking is am i better to remove the DPF all together and remap the car sensibly. id like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2015, 07:06:35 pm »
DPF I believe if you remove it you could have problems as non standard for future MOT's.

Suggest you read previous reports on this forum re Timing chains possible problems on the 2.2 Diesel engine.

Many posts have been made.

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2015, 05:24:41 pm »
If you remove the DPF and it is discovered at the MOT then the car will fail. Some people have been relying on the difficulty of observing whether the DPF has been removed and chancing it. The authorities are of course well aware of this and are likely to tighten up the test as if the DPF has been removed then the car will blow out a lot of particulates when revved in the same way as non DPF cars do.

If you have the 2.0 engine then it is subject to DPF related problems. The later 2.2 diesels are better but not immune.

Which is why I bought a petrol this time round!

Offline dazwell

• S Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2015, 05:28:47 am »
Hi all, just looking at buying a Mazda 6 2.2d tsp 2011 model and looking at some concerns about DPF issues and timing chain issues. I'm new  to Mazda cars has always had VW. Took the car for a test drive  and the car drove great but the DPF light was on.! Guy a mainstream dealer said it was due to not being driven and needing a service. Had to owners one was which JTC600 then one lady owner, which I'm going to contact. Has anyone got and experience with 2011 model? Abd should I just look else where ? What else should I be looking out for? Thanks for help in advance .

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2015, 10:43:27 am »
Let the dealer put it right before you touch it. If he insists on anything else look elsewhere .

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2015, 09:43:18 pm »
Does this DPF problem including warning lights and messages still happen on 2014 model 2.2 175 skyactive engines ?

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »
The new one is a completely different system. You shouldn't experience this with the new one.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2015, 06:23:21 pm »
Thanks very much for your reply if you have any other points on the car i should feel free to make contact

Offline wocky

• S Class
  • Colour: Strato Blue (25E) Metallic
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2016, 10:55:17 am »
Eventual fix for 2007 Mazda 6 TS2 2.0 MZR Diesel 143ps DPF problem
I hope this will help some people, as I used a lot of info on the Forums working my way thro to an eventual fix to DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) causing engine management (MIL) to go into limp mode. The first sign of problems was the occasional loss of power when cruising, which quickly fixed itself. Then weeks later when towing a Caravan from  Gloucestershire to Cornwall, the DPF light began flashing. It never illuminated solid to give me a chance to clean the DPF by reving the engine, and almost immediately the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) light came on and the engine went to reduced power in limp mode. For some unknown reason the ABS error light (C1119) also comes on. After discussion with a Green Flag Engineer, I continued to Cornwall (with Caravan) on reduced power. I then booked the car into Mazda Truro where they topped up the oil (turned out to be the wrong spec oil) and did a forced regeneration of the DPF. All was well with full power restored and no warning lights on .After 30 miles on the return journey with Caravan, the same happened again. DPF light began flashing and almost immediately the MIL light came on and the engine went to reduced power in limp mode. I continued the journey for another 150+ miles without event. I then decided that I had lost faith in Mazda’s ability to solve the problem as I could not afford repeated expensive visits to a Mazda dealer, as many others have said, after reading the Forums. I then purchased an ELM327 adapter (for Mazda and Ford) which used free Forscan software, from a well know online supplier (now priced at £16.95) and did a manual DPF regen myself (not for the faint Hearted, what a smell). This took some 30 minutes and was quite intensive. Unfortunately within 100 miles the MIL and DPF lights were on again. I then cleaned the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve and link pipe. The link pipe was almost solid with Carbon. After checking oil spec (must be ACEA C1) realised that the last oil change done by an independent service engineer, was the wrong spec so I changed the Oil and Filter and did another forced regen and cancelled the error codes. I then drove reving the engine at over 2000 for 15 mins sometimes to give the DPF chance to regen. At this time I was also using the ELM327 to monitor the Soot levels. I must say that at no time did the oil level on the dip stick rise towards the X mark. No good. The DPF light came on again but this time I had the ELM327 and laptop with me and when the DPF light began flashing, I plugged it in and spotted an intermittent mass air flow error (P0104) which almost immediately disappeared to be replace by MIL error and warning light. I had not seen this error recorded before. I purchased a cheap MAF sensor but it gave no power so I then bought a Denso unit (original manufacturer) for about  £100. I continued to monitor the soot levels but the errors returned again. So this time I took off the DPF and pressure washed from both sides. Very little soot/ash seemed to come out but the action also removed the top surface of the filter matrix (I think this was very important). I started the engine with a wet DPF and let it idle for 30 minutes until the steam stopped. I then cleaned the EGR valve and link pipe again although they were not very dirty.
I continued to monitor the soot levels first weekly, but now monthly. The DPF is now cleaning as the soot levels increase then fall back to almost nothing. I have now done over 4000 miles with no problems and have driving as before, with no special reving of engine over 2000 for 15 mins.
My conclusion is that the original problem was an intermittent fault with the Mass airflow sensor that resulted in excessive soot generation when giving a false signal. This almost completely blocked up the EGR valve pipe to the inlet manifold. Whether the wrong spec oil had a part to play in the DPF blockage I do not know, but the Mazda info says it is vital so in this instance I believe them.
BUT...I think the key fact is that the heavy soot formed a cap on the front of the DPF that could never be burnt off properly during a regen as it never got hot enough on the front surface, so that it took very little in order to block again, even though the original faulty MAF sensor was now performing fine. The pressure washing took this soot cap off, as it also took off some of the front of the filter matrix!

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2016, 01:27:42 pm »
Very informative. Thank you.  I presume after all this that you have not had any reoccurance of the DPF / MIL  lights. Have you had a chance to try towing again and see if that makes any difference ?

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline wocky

• S Class
  • Colour: Strato Blue (25E) Metallic
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2016, 04:04:13 pm »
Hi Willpower.
No re-occurrence at all and no error codes when I check with the ELM327. For some £16 it's a fantastic bit of kit with software updates coming out every few months. As I said above, I have been monitoring the soot levels and see that they drop from time to time to almost zero which to me means that the DPF is regenerating. No, I have not towed the Caravan since but when I do I will not allow the Engine to labour at low revs as I did before, just in case! I have done a number of long journeys, 150+ miles when no regen has taken place, but mainly short of only 3 to 5 miles for weeks at a time. The soot levels as monitored by the exhaust pressure sensor need to above a threshold level before the engine management initiates a regen cycle. In fact in the early days after pressure washing the DPF, I had the ELM327 and laptop with me when I took some rubbish to the recycling centre some 3 miles from a cold start. When I got out of the car I could smell a burning smell, and plugged in the ELM327. To my surprise the 3 exhaust temperatures were up over 600 degs C and a regen was taking place. This was a surprise for a short journey as the engine had barely got hot.

Offline mart2008

• S Class
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2016, 05:26:58 am »
Hi Guys. I thought that I would share with you all, my experience that I had with my Mazda 6 TS 2.0 Diesel (2008). I have only had the car since January and it always 'missed' at around 1800rpm, just a very short, hesitant lack of power, mainly on the motorway in top gear. I knew that something wasn't right but I put up with it. Anyway, back in the beginning of May, it very suddenly got much worse where the EML came on and all sorts of other warning lights came on and off, (ABS etc). The car went into limp mode but got me home. I left it over night and the next day, it was worse. It started ok but had no power and I had a job to drive it so I parked it up and booked it into my local Mazda dealers in Cardiff. I struggled to drive it there but I got there. They kept it over the weekend but I eventually got a call to say that I could pick the car up. I was told that the cat was blocked and the car tried to do a regeneration but failed due to the blocked cat, causing a lot of back pressure. They did a forced regen and managed to unblock the cat (don't know how). I was told to monitor it and see how it goes but if all fail's, I might have to fork out for a replacement DPF!!! My place of work involves a 40 mile motorway drive so I had plenty of chance to give it a good blast to clear out any further soot and hopefully prevent it from happening again. However, I still had that occasional 'miss', 'hickup' or whatever you want to call it. I started to do a bit of research on DPF's, cat's and their problems and came across an additive called 'Cataclean' which claimed that it not only cleans the cat, it also cleans DPF's and the whole of the fuel system in general. The best price that I could find was with Eurocarparts at £13.99 a bottle. I'm sure that Ebay sell it cheaper but I don't trust a lot of products on there as there are a lot of fakes around. So, I bought a bottle and followed the instructions which states that the whole bottle is to be added to around a quarter of a tank of fuel. Then drive the car for at least 10-15 minutes before adding more fuel. What I did was drive the car over a couple of days to use up the quarter of a tank of fuel then refueled. Lad's, this stuff works! Not only was the annoying hickup gone, the car definitely had more power, crisper acceleration and an improved MPG. Definitely the best £13.99 I have ever spent. It certainly worked on my car and I have not had any reoccurring problems in the last 7 weeks. It does say on the bottle that it can be used 3-4 times a year if required unlike other additives that have to be added to every tank full of fuel. Worth a try guy's, if you are having similar issues with your car.     

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2016, 07:04:44 pm »
The new one is a completely different system. You shouldn't experience this with the new one.

Though I have the  2.2  Gen 3  2013 - on model and have no problems so far, I would not say the problem has gone away, especially if you drive it round the town all the time  or in 6th gear on the  motorway.  There are a few sad stories on the Mazda6OwnersClub forum  like above. Unfortunately Mazda seems to have closed all the loopholes for self maintenance which is not playing fair considering the problem was their poor design in the first place and you are at their mercy.
That ELM 327 adapter sounds like  a good investment,  I wonder if it works on the Gen 3 and using a Samsung Tab S tablet rather than a laptop and can you reset the pcm  after an oil change.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2016, 08:00:47 pm »
I think the solution on the GEN 3 sky active is oil and filter change every 6000 miles for your own peace of mind. That's what i'm doing. Although i think Mazda should do the intermittent one for free. ;D Hang on there is a couple of pigs flying over  :-X

cheers steve . 8)