Author Topic: Another red key + other issues  (Read 3246 times)

Offline trickyricky

• S Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Another red key + other issues
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:02:53 am »
So, I'm on my second 6, but this one is not playing properly. Only had the car a week (2011 2.2 sport estate ) and there's a list of faults.
Had a engine check light the day after I bought it. Code said clutch switch. Removed the code via OBDII.
No low beam lights, no headlight symbol on dash. (High beam works, both on car and dash)
No front fog lights car or dash, rear symbol turns on but won't stay on dash.

Car came with 3 keys. Only 1 unlocks the door. Wednesday the car started fine, went to work stopped at shop no problems. Went to move the car in the parking lot, no green light, just red light with a line through. Changed key fob battery, no luck. Called AA, towed home.
Changed battery in fob that opens door, briefly had a green light for 20 seconds, no accessories, no start.

On a 2011 6 with keyless start, does putting the physical key in the lock on the steering stem turn? As in older cars, turn the key to accessories, then turn again to start?

If I was to remove the ECU and have it analysed, would a fault display?

Checked all the fuses, inside and motor bay, no luck. I've seen other threads that point to the steering lock broken. If I was to change the steering lock, where are the pitfalls? Reprogramming keys?

Thanks completely baffled here.

Thoughts please. TIA.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
Re: Another red key + other issues
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 12:25:38 pm »
I used to a 2010 Sport and had the red key light issue. It turned out to be a corroded earth connection somewhere under the front wing. The reason I mention it is that until it was correctly diagnosed, the car was presenting with various electrical faults including steering column lock and intrusion sensor but none of these were actually the problem so this could be causing all your other issues. There were quite a few threads on here in the past covering the same problem.

Offline trickyricky

• S Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Re: Another red key + other issues
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 07:56:13 pm »
I checked drivers side earth connection and cleaned it. No use on that one. Are there others more hidden?