Author Topic: Electrical earth problem, headlamp cluster?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Grenache

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2012
Electrical earth problem, headlamp cluster?
« on: April 12, 2020, 04:56:43 pm »
Hello

I have a 2008-2012 model, 2.2d TS and I’ve noticed that the headlamp and front sidelamp bulbs on one side are dimmer than the same on the other side.  I’d swapped the bulbs over but it’s not that.  As both are dimmer, I wonder if it’s an electrical negative/earth issue for the headlamp cluster on one side.  Due to the limited space I can’t see where the lamp cluster might be earthed to.  Or are the lights on one side fed from the same fuse which might have a bad connection?

Could anyone help, please, with some info, perhaps a wiring diagram or some practical advice to find out where the problem might be?   Or indeed another suggestion if you think I’ve come to the wrong conclusion.

Thanks

Ken

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Electrical earth problem, headlamp cluster?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 06:14:25 pm »
There is a different fuse for each side and each beam (low/high).

They are in the engine compartment.

You need to check numbers:

40: Head low right
41: Head low left
42: Head high right
43: Head high left

40 and 41 are 15A while 42 and 43 are 10A

Number 42 also does BCM (body control module) and may be the root of your problem.

You can find the numbers in the inner part of the fuse box cover but if you miss that, numbers 40 to 43 are on the most right side, one column before the end which has only two. They are the bottom 4.

I think you can check the wire connection with a multimeter and in that way to come to some conclusions about the earth connection. Something like this:

https://itstillruns.com/wire-motorcycle-headlight-6938306.html

I also found out this link which seems that there is somebody live giving answers?

https://www.justanswer.com/mazda/6uua0-mazda-6-low-beam-headlights-won-t-on-new.html

I am not sure how the diagram he gave helps though.