Author Topic: Sound Deadening - Part 1: Silent Coat in the main cabin floorpan  (Read 10179 times)

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
I don't have many gripes about the GH, but cabin noise is one of them.

Here's the first part of my project to reduce cabin noise.  Silent coat.

I want to see how much of a difference I notice at each of the stages.

The estate boot, door panels will follow.  Then closed cell foam will be applied.

There's very little vibration dampening in the cabin and very little sound absorbing wadding and absolutely no closed cell foam to be seen.

https://ibb.co/album/nKsEov

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: Sound Deadening - Part 1: Silent Coat in the main cabin floorpan
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 01:37:26 am »
So here's the boot section done.  I didn't get time to take it for a spin and see how much of a difference its made yet, that'll be done at some point on Saturday.

I was very surprised to hear how the wheel well sounded like a steel drum, with its shrill high notes when I tapped around the sides of the sunken well and around the surrounding surface.

I made a video of the "before and after", and the sound is now dulled down with much less resonance.  This should make for an improvement by reducing the vibration and noise from the rear wheels, road surface and twin exhausts.

I've now only got one sheet of Silent coat left.  I'll need 10 - 12 more sheets to get address all four doors.

As with the cabin, there's plenty of room for closed cell foam to do its trick.  The existing limited 10mm of wadding is just inadequate.

You can find my write up here: https://ibb.co/album/du5Rka

[