Author Topic: Mazda 6 2.2D 150PS - What's the Real World Fuel Economy Like?  (Read 25942 times)

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: Mazda 6 2.2D 150PS - What's the Real World Fuel Economy Like?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 06:09:08 pm »
Now into my 4th year ( with the 2.2d 2014 manual saloon) and mpg taken each fill up and averaged over a year and I am achieving 48 mpg on average, no different from my previous diesel that was 14 years old. The Mazda 'may' be better on emissions but for a fancy engine no improvement on actual mpg over a long period.
This last week I drove 500 miles roundtrip on motorways and 'A' dual carriageways with the cruise control set on 70-73mph and achieved 49mpg Northbound and 49mpg southbound with an average speed of 65mph. The Dash registering 45 & 52 mpg, zeroed at fill up each time.
I use the stop start facility and tend to let the car slow down rather than braking and accellerate from 50 - 70 using the cruise control in increments. There was minimum traffic and no hold ups.
Agree with you APAV.
2 M6's passed me rather quickly on the A46 when I was doing 70 so they are the people you are obviously talking about.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 11:42:34 am »
I would like to try the third generation 6 for its consumption. I have the second generation car with the 2.0 first generation engine. I bought it used as the third owner at 76K miles from a franchise dealer but not as an approved used car. The trip computer was reading 22mph average speed and 36mpg average consumption. After 30K miles within 31 months, I am now reading 31mph average speed and 54.2mpg average consumption. I have not done any resets. On paper, my 30K miles divided by the litres I have filled in, return a high 66mpg average consumption. If I fill in and avoid traffic (miracles happens sometimes), the trip computer estimate of the remaining distance added to the distance covered, goes very close to 1K miles but does not reach it. There was an ex-fleet third generation car on AutoTrader with an average consumption of 85mpg. It all depends on the driving conditions.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 06:02:57 pm »
After 4 years from new, the average consumption for each year has been 48mpg.  Week by week or instantaneous  is not reliable, you need to take consumption over a long period  so that it takes in all the types of drinving and weather conditions.  During the year I plug into a spreadsheet everything I spend on the car, such as tryres, servicing etc  statutory payments like insurance, plus at the end of the year total fuel bill from a spreadsheet of consumptiom.  My spreadsheet calculates the cost per mile all expenses, cost per mile maintenance  and mpg. Plus total cost per year I also add in depreciation as an expense from Glass's averaged value. Not that depreceation worries me as I kept my last car 14 years, so it did not owe me anything when I sold it.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 06:13:20 pm »
Subsequent to my earlier post in 2014 just after I bought the car, I have kept fuel figures from that day and each year print a graph for the consumption and pence /mile over the same period.
After my 5th year the figures are as follows-:
Years average - 44.57  mpg
Life Average - 47.32 ( this has dropped this year following the software change in 2018).
Max for year -  55.53
Min for year -  36.6
Median  - 45.19
 Total mileage 41K.
The life average is total miles/  total fuel bought.
The individual mpgs at fill up and the official figures, even world figures are  at best very rough. All depends on how a car is driven,   ambient temps, elevations, level of servicing, loading of the car i.e passengers , luggage etc.
You can be sure that any official figures are done on an empty car on the flat at its best ambient and with a very light foot.
Stating  Urban, Motorway, and Combined are still guestimates, but driven for a year with mixed driving and weather  gives a more accurate reading.
The cars consumption gauge does not actually measure fuel delivered to the engine, fuel returned to the tank,  but based on sensors  and can be +/- 5-10% out.

If the term 'filling the gaps' means what I think it means, then riding on somebodies  rear bumper/ slipstreaming is a dangerous  and bad habit. 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:15:59 pm by mareng73 »
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline Anewbeginning82

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 08:04:18 pm »
I do long drives to work (45 miles each way), so perfect candidate for good fuel economy.

I managed 65 mpg driving like Miss Daisy for the first week.  The second week, I drove without fuel economy in mind and achieved 55 mpg.  Very happy with the car and the performance.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 04:31:07 pm »
 Filling in what gaps?

After 5 years of ownership I have averaged 48mpg over the first three years until they did the software update in August 2018 then it dropped to 45mpg.
Those Mazda figures are not really achievable at the start of the post, you may get the odd high reading one month in the summer with a following wind, but you need to be looking over 12 months to get a decent figure based on fuel bought and miles driven.
Using the stop start must save fuel, it doesn't take much to start a car, you are not going to loose any time. Give your self large gaps in front of you to anticipate what is happening ahead of you, take you foot off the accellerator early and allow the regenerative braking work and the car to slow down slowly, this way you also save on brake pads and discs, tyres wear and tear. I am still on original discs and pads at 43k - 2014 plate. You will also find its a much smoother ride for yourself and passengers and people following you.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2022, 09:29:19 pm »
After 7 years of ownership and a new set of fuel injectors my long run consumption is usually about 62 -65 depending on season, much better in the summer obviously.
Regens after 200 miles, not 30 miles prior to fuel injector change.
If you have Forscan, I recommend you log lube oil fuel dilution and number of regens from new with this you can calculate frequency of regens. If they are starting to drop each fill up then you may have fuel injector problems, not DPF problems as some garages will tell you. The DPF  is doing its job, but you have trouble upstream in the cylinder causing bad combustion and unburnt carbon deposits on the DPF.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire