Author Topic: Water in boot well  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Jimthelob

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
Water in boot well
« on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:01 am »
Are any of you experiencing a lot of water in the boot well ( where the spare space saver wheel goes)
I traced the leak back to the rubber seal around the boot/ tailgate opening.
The rubber seal itself looked in perfect condition (externally) but there is a white silicone/mastic material inside the slot that clips over the metal rim, that had gone hard and brittle. I guess that by the process of capillary action the water was getting from the outside to the inside of this rubber seal. I did witness this and at first could not believe it.
I have cured the problem by completely removing the rubber seal from car, then opening up the groove in the seal and removing the white mastic material. This was a painstaking job and very sore on my hands,so it may be easier to purchase a new seal, I think they cost approximately £70.
I then put a bead of silicone inside the groove and on the metal rim and refitted the seal (this was a bit messy.) I used everbuild Stixall clear.
After letting it cure for a day or so I retested and no sign of any water has appeared.
Hopefully this will help someone. I had same problem with my previous car a Mazda 3saloon and never got the problem solved.

Offline Jimthelob

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
Re: Water in boot well
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 07:53:51 am »
Update!!

The leak reappeared. I discovered the boot lid had sprung up in the top corners and was not making contact with the rubber seal. Probably my own fault as I regularly over fill the boot.
The hinges are very flimsy and I couldn’t find way to adjust other than physically pulling & pulling the boot lid.
I did find some specifications: see attachment.
Hope this helps someone as it was driving me mad!