Author Topic: Service intervals for 2.2TD (180hp)  (Read 16729 times)

Offline KevH20

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Service intervals for 2.2TD (180hp)
« on: January 16, 2020, 01:33:49 pm »
Hi everyone,

hoping to look at a 2010 2.2 Sport on Saturday. It mentions it's had part service history so I just wanted to see if there are any service intervals posted so I can check what should have been done. If it's missed major work then I'll be a bit more wary of it.

Thanks

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
Re: Service intervals for 2.2TD (180hp)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:20:10 pm »
The most important bits are not part of the service history.

In terms of priority, I think you should check whether the car has changed the timing chain and how many times this has been done. If the DPF light is on, the chain will have stretched and will need replacement. If you have forscan, ask whether you can read the chain angle.

Check when the chain was last changed and compare with the current mileage. There is a good chance that you will need to replace it soon. Every additional chain, needs an earlier replacement than before. It is a big cost even if you DIY which is not really easy. You can buy these cars at auctions for about £500 plus fees and a chain replament will cost you double that.

Check whether the injector seals have been replaced and do the same for the turbo.

In my opinion, if you find out a chain, injector seals, turbo replaced, you are looking in a well used engine which sooner or later will require one of the same again.

Check that the car has DPF and EGR in good working condition. If you find any service history, check whether they ever used C1 oil. Go through the trip computer and note the figures for average speed and consumption. If the speed is below 25mph, it means a really hard life for the DPF as it needs to be driving more than 25mph to regenerate. Usually it will go together with a low mpg figure as well.

Check that the rear callipers are free. You should not hear any noises when you release the handbrake and try to move. Drive a very short distance without using the brakes. Get out and attempt to touch the rear discs. Do not go on the full attack, but just a gentle touch to get a feeling how hot they are. Compare with the fronts. If the rear callipers are not free, the discs will be warm instead of metal cold.

Other than that the service intervals is just oil changes. Every 5th service it says about gear oil as well and every 6th service it says about replacing the injector set up which cost about £1K at the dealer. You replace the air and cabin filter every 2-3 services but this is just a 5 minute job, but at the same intervals you replace the fuel filter. Every second service you need brake fluid.

With a 10 years old car, it all depends on how much you will pay for it considering how much work it needs to keep rolling. When you compare the cost of service vs repairs, getting service history is not that important as the repairs will cost multiple times what you will pay for the car.

Offline KevH20

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 07:34:12 am »
That's excellent. Thanks very much for the detailed reply. The car I was considering has had the issue with not starting under keyless go. He was pretty honest but said the key has just been recoded and if it happens again, he's been advised to replace the steering lock. When I've looked into that, that's £700 at a dealer and others have had further problems after it had been replaced. Although the car is only advertised at £1700, giving about £1300 leeway for repairs compared to other cars for sale, I'm not sure I fancy the risk.

That was really helpful though, thanks.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 10:37:04 am »
Oh yes I forgot about the keyless witchcraft. The way to solve that was usually by replacing parts at the dealer but he may had found a way forward with coding the keys. But it is a risk as you say which will cost money to put it right.

All prices have gone up and £1,700 may sound OK, but putting this in context with other cars, you get a better feeling of what you should do. I would worry more about the timing chain than anything else because if you pay £1,700 and then the chain goes, you will need to fix it to make this money go a bit further, and this is where this may never end.