Author Topic: Intermittent "Engine Requires Inspection" message  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Charles Napier

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
Intermittent "Engine Requires Inspection" message
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:10:39 pm »
This message first occured whilst on holiday in West Wales & the car went into Limp Mode. The next day it disapeared without any action being taken. On the drive back to Brighton it occured again. I stopped at a motor way services and called the AA. Their technician seemed very knowlegeable about Mazda 6's, (Ominous) & reset 4 messages from his laptop concerning heat in regard to oil & water. He also topped up the oil & water which I don't think were particularly low. Engine requires inspection disapeared for around 150 miles.

When no warning message and no limp mode the car drives normally.

Took it to my local approved Mazda dealer who said they had a battery terminal loose. I was amazed that such a small issue would immobilise the car and guess who had the battrey out last. Yes; the same dealer when fitting a new oil strainer.
The car was limped again on the short trip from the the dealer.

Having heard stories about supermarket diesel I ran it down & filled up with Shell and added a can of STP for high mileage (mine's 100k now) injector cleaner too. Low & behold I get to North Wales and back (800 miles with local driving) and it comes on again right at the end of the journey. It is now completely unpredictable. Logically it seems to me that it is the sensor system not working rather than the engine itself. The service desk man at the dealer, says it will be difficult to find and cost £120/hr for diagnostics and that I would be better off with a petrol car: helpfull!

I bought this car 3 years old at 55k & within a couple of years had to have the Turbos cams and other things replaced. Mazda paid half but it was still £900. Recently spent another £900 on having the oil strainer replaced which came from the message
"System management system requires inspection" It has an approved dealer FSH up to today.

If your're not asleep having read this treatise, I would welcome any advice. Having read quite a lot now about problems with the Skyactive 2.2D engine I am wondering whether this is another RX8 for Mazda and it is time to get shut.
This would be a pity, because it's wonderful car my wife and I really enjoy, with lots of useful extra's and certainly the best looking estate on the market. I believe too we still need a diesel as we tow a 1300 Kg caravan though please note the preceeding tale of woe was totally none towing. Skoda Supreme anybody?

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: Intermittent "Engine Requires Inspection" message
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 03:21:15 pm »
FSH doesn't mean a lot, just they supposedly serviced the car. You don't know what other things they have done to it, or what was missed at a service. As long as the mechanics   tick the boxes nobody  checks to see its been done.  The service advisers are only sales people  and the SM is too busy with spread sheets to worry about what goes on in the w/s.  Sounds like you got one of the early 13's.
Your oil level should not be at full, but halfway between low  and full, to allow for oil dilution filling the sump up with diesel on abortive regens.

Do you have Forscan and an obd reader, this will tell you the code  and give a hint to whats going wrong.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 08:28:59 pm »
You have to realise that the motoring organisatoons are on KPI's, the morepeople they see in a day the more browny points they get at review time.
So they come to you and you have codes up. Cancel the codes and away you go, then they come up again.
The Codes are there to tell the mechanic there is something wrong. Now some of the codes are a bit generic unless you can interpret from the code number what they mean and follow it with other tests.

I drove for a few thousand miles with a DPF  code up  which meant the dpf was regening too frequently, it took my SM a while to,find the problem and it was only found after he spoke to Mazda Eur in Kent and it appears it was a known problem but they didn't inform the dealers. 

It's been some time since your last post, what was the outcome?
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 05:02:46 pm »
I assume you mean the fuel filter was replaced when they had the battery out. You said oil
 filter which is accessible from underneath the car.
Why would the charge £900  to change a fuel filter, you could have done it yourself  in an hour. Just Googling the filter we are talking about £30.
I think you need to change your garage.
I am also surprised that the AA didn't notice the loose battery terminal.
Sounds like you have been taken for a ride.  These service advisors should not 2nd guess a mechanics findings, just report what the symptoms you tell him, otherwise it leads the mechanic down the wrong path.
There is no excuse for levels of oils, water and fuel and tyre pressures to be the cause of a problem, these are  things that should be checked monthly or if you are a high mileage driver weekly. If you are going on a longer journey than your normal commute then check the car over the day before. Air filter and cabin filter can be checked monthly also, niether takes more than a few minutes and no tools are required. Low pressure or uneven tyre pressures can lead to changes in handling and heavier wear on tyres. Buy a tyre pressure gauge and check them before driving the car when they are cold. Use the air compressor supplied with the car if requiring more air. I run mine at 35 psig and 38 psig if going on long distance runs. If fully loaded you can go up to 40 -44 psig , but check the plate. Also check the pressure in your spare or doughnut.
Its an offence to drive with an empty windscreen washer bottle, if you cannot see the water level then top it up and carry some water in the boot. Don't bother with the plastic dipstic in the cap. Make sure the sprayers work. These jobs are not garage service items but Owners responsibility.
READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire