Author Topic: Drivers Seat  (Read 64055 times)

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2013
Re: Drivers Seat
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 08:45:54 pm »
Was it moving much ?

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 10:36:22 am »
No - very very slightly - and to be fair it still is. - but only when I grasp the headrest and rock it forward with a bit of an attitude. I assumed that the dreadful creak and the slight movement were interlinked. they weren't. The dealer considers the movement to be within spec for the present and I will monitor it carefully. However without the noise the seat is transformed! The automotive anorak in me got an exploded parts diagram of the seat from the parts department. It's like my old meccano set from the 60's! The bit I'm keeping an eye on is the "cradle" frame device between the runners and the metal seat base. To be fair to all concerned though, I wouldn't have noticed the play  if the seat hadn't been dreadfully noisy. Interesting though that the car is only 3 years old with 34K. Maybe the previous owner did things on the seat that I can only fantasise about...... :)

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 05:04:09 pm »
Seemingly there was a small clip that was broken underneath the seat. Seems ok now.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 05:44:33 pm »
That's good. First time I've come across a seat problem on a modern car - maybe a loose/noisy seat malfunction warning light on the dash would be useful...... ::). Interesting that this particular thread has been viewed over 1,000 times with just 17 posts. Is it a widespread defect or is it just a right riveting read?

Offline Mikeg

• S Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »
Hi there. My 2008 Mazda 6 TS2 Diesel has a seat problem at around 30,000 miles. The seat seemed as if it was clicking in & out of the runners. When I took it to the dealers the mechanic said they'd had a spate of these & it was a fault with the seat cradle. After no success from 5 or 6 visits Mazda agreed to change the entire cradle but asked me to 'give a contribution' towards the cost!!! I said no way, they backed down & replaced it. This cured it until a few thousand miles ago when it's started again.  It's a known fault & Mazda should have recalled the cars to fix them. Incidentally, I'm 6' 3", 14 stones with a BMI of 24 so pretty slim.

Offline thecherubim

• S Class
  • Colour: Graphite Mica (38R) Metallic
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 05:48:04 pm »
I have started having the same problem with the washers under the drivers seat.

If Mazda know they have a problem have they not issued a recall for to get them checked.  Must ring Mazda tomorrow to see where I lie if this is a general fault.

Don't fancy the thought of having my car laid up for a week for something that's not that big to fix..

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 08:17:19 am »
Maybe someone can kindly clarify this point for me. I thought all official recalls were listed on the VOSA Recall website. Ergo, if it's not on there it's just down to the dealer as to how they approach these advisory bulletins from their head office? There are only about 4 listed on VOSA at present for this marque (2008 onwards).

Offline Thundercat

• S Class
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »
I too have a problem with my seat but somewhat more understandable than some of the other posts. I bought the car 2nd hand with 100k on it and when test driving it the rocking was really bad. I ended up taking it to the dealers partner garage for fixing FOC by a moonlighting Mazda mechanic. I saw him strip the whole thing down then apply more weld than there was seat and reassemble. The problem as I saw it was flimsy strengthening bars that were only tack welded and a lot of use of sping washer clips rather than bolts. Basically it's all too cheaply manufactured.

It has come back slightly over time but is nowhere near as bad as on the original test drive. I know I should have probably walked away but hindsight is a wonderfully thing.

Another point to add - there is a guy in my work that is on his 3rd seat in 12 months however he is 6"5' and I'd guess about 20+ Stone. Unfortunately I didn't know about his issue before making my purchase. Even if I had I might have put it down to his size rather than the car.

Offline MZR-CD

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 09:30:12 am »
I've noticed my seat is doing this too. 36k km or about 22k miles. It's an electric seat if that helps. Might mention it at the service. Have it booked in for an early one on Friday. Also the leather seems to be splitting in the middle of the seat. Treated it with gliptone and it seems to have improved the condition of it.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »
Well - useless fact of the forum. I think it's assumed that many owners will drop in and out of these forums when problems occur and then are solved. Many will not bother posting.This thread has 23 entries but has hit 1500 viewings. So to the silent majority who have a drivers seat issue - here's hoping that you managed to get it fixed to a satisfactory standard. :)

Offline Little John

• Sport Class
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 12:34:00 pm »
Not me, but then it's not really bothering me that much.  My drivers seat knocks if you corner too fast, or do a double change of direction (such as coming off a roundabout where you are turning right and then turn left).  At the first service the garage couldn't reproduce it and put it down to me being a fat bloater (not quite the words they used, but the general sentiment).  At the second service they decided that they needed to replace some washers.  It's still knocking...

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 02:59:29 pm »
They replaced some washers underneath mine but its still knocking very slightly. I can live with it though. And I am certainly not a fat bloater ;-)

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »
Gentlemen, Refering to your  term "fat bloater", I am delighted to advise you that Mazda considers  "one person's weight to be about 75kg".(Roughly 12 stones in English currency).   This can be evidenced in Section 10-10 of your handbook when advising on the subject of Tyre Pressure Inflation. I fully intend to start a petition  to ensure all Mazda Sales Consultants are issued with their own weighing scales in the future. Keep an eye out for a Mazda 6 recall asking all owners to pop in for a weigh in at the next service. So, you could be right. Anyone over 75Kg may put undue pressure on the seat......

Offline Little John

• Sport Class
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 12:19:21 pm »
Anyone over 75Kg may put undue pressure on the seat......
That means that I'm 35% too heavy to drive a Mazda.  Should I be considering a commercial vehicle for my next car....

Offline MicBarra

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 02:38:10 pm »
Right,
I am less than amused.... I have asked Mazda if this is a known fault and guess what the response was?..... Yes you guessed it... NO!

So, I'm fighting with the dealer I bought the car from along with the Mazda Dealer to see who wants to pay for it!

Wish me luck LOL
You laugh because I'm different.... I laugh because I farted!