Author Topic: Air filter and Exhaust replacement  (Read 4129 times)

Offline John_Clegg

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Air filter and Exhaust replacement
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:47:39 pm »
2 questions if I may...

Im having my 2009 2.2d ts remapped next month and I want to change the air filter and exhaust beforehand.

Do you have any recommendations for the air filter?  My initial thought was a k&n panel filter and improve the cold air feed to the box or is there a better option?

I would like to change my single exit exhaust for a twin. Is it a straight forward swap and would it have to be from a car of the same year?

Many thanks

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Air filter and Exhaust replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:06:54 am »
Perfomance wise, they will not really give you anything. If you go for the filter, make sure you clean it properly and do not apply too much oil after each clean and mess up with the sensors. You can make a custom exhaust based on the original design or just fit one from the twin exhaust version car.

In any case, before you start using the car hard, check the oil pick up strainer and the injector seals, and read the chain stretch. If any of them gives you sign that your engine is at its last legs, you may need to reconsider with the remap.

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: Air filter and Exhaust replacement
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 12:25:30 am »
BBR can tune your 2.2 to a reasonable level without any upgrade to your air filter or exhaust.  Google it if you haven't already done so.

I've never found air filters (like K&N) useful, and I've had Abbott racing tune my old Saab 9000 Turbo to a ridiculous level and I couldn't tell the difference.  What did help was a bigger IC, air intake pipe, bigger injectors and a 3inch exhaust.  I changed the suspension and added poly and stiffer ARBs too.

The 6 is different and being a diesel, you've got quite a good scope to get a lot more usable power/torque out of it with an ECU remap alone.

The chassis is stunning and it's hard to push it beyond its limits unless you're on a track.