Author Topic: SCBS malfunction and engine stalling  (Read 7957 times)

Offline Mutley66

• S Class
  • Colour: Whitewater Pearl (25D)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2016
SCBS malfunction and engine stalling
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:51:03 pm »
I've a 2015 Mazda 6 tourer 2.2d se-l nav, 27k.
Twice in the last week a warning message appeared saying "SCBS forward malfunction " and the engine cut out. First time the engine started up again immediately and the message disappeared. But the second time the engine refused to start, just kicked over once then cut out. Eventually after 10 minutes I was able to start the engine again, the warning message disappeared and everything was OK.
On both occasions I was driving slowly down a hill, in neutral with my foot on the break to control my speed.
Any ideas on what is causing this, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: SCBS malfunction and engine stalling
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:59:30 pm »
Just a guess, but anything to do with you coasting downhill in neutral, using only the foot brake to
control your movement. ?, Why not have the gears engaged as normal.?

Offline Mutley66

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:13:53 pm »
Hi V249, I'm not coasting downhill. It's a very steep hill with a blind bend, to get thru my village. Prior to the blind bend I have to use the break, When approaching the bend I go into neutral and then either stop or engage gear to progress forward.
Although I did wonder if the coincidence of this occurring twice in the same driving scenario may be a factor, I'd also be surprised if this should actually be the cause of the problem on a modern car?

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:46:13 pm »
Anything to do with allowing the car to move forward whilst in neutral is dangerous practise. The law actually looks at it as not being in proper control of your vehicle.
Having said that, I think there is a good chance that your driving style in this particular instance is what is causing the problem.   

I would suggest braking and coming to a complete halt as you would normally do on a flat road, before engaging a different gear to continue.  Or  brake and engage a lower gear but continue to reduce our speed by braking. This way you will have a lower gear pre selected to go round the corner.

I doubt that there is a fault with your SCBS system, it is behaving as it is supposed to and trying to prevent you from hitting anything in your path.  It is just being fooled by your current method because you are going into neutral whilst moving .
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Mutley66

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:59:03 pm »
UPDATE - just drove the car again and it's now continuously cutting out with the same warning light and the engine warning light. And this was on a flat road in gear and in total control of my vehicle.
Awaiting Mazda assist breakdown recovery...

Offline Mutley66

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 03:51:21 pm »
Apologies as I thought I had updated this post; car went into Mazda dealer who identified problem was faulty air intake valve, apparently a common fault? and my driving style was not the cause!