Author Topic: New 2017/18 Mazda 6  (Read 8001 times)

Offline tzd7kw

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
New 2017/18 Mazda 6
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:05:39 am »
I have a Mazda 6 Sport Hatchback 12 plate, I've had from new. I would have upgraded to a new 6 already had Mazda not dropped the hatchback option, as I have zero interest in having either a saloon or estate. I've been reading about a so called Coupe version of the next Mazda 6, anybody have any idea if this will be a reality AND will be a Hatchback?

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: New 2017/18 Mazda 6
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:22:56 am »
As another owner of a 6 Hatchback I am very interested in any future development on the replacement of a
new similar vehicle. As are several  other contributors.Mazda say no interest, so why do other manufacturers
still produce and sell them.?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:09 pm »
I had read a review about the current model and the article had information about the choices Mazda made during its development. It stated that after Ford sold its share, money ran short and Mazda could not afford to develop both a wide version for the North American markets and a European version. So they chose one and that was the North American saloon car. The station version is the old European car updated. Comparing the two models, the article concluded that the European updated old car version was more agile due to being smaller while the bigger North American new saloon car was less agile. So I think it is money talking about the lack of hatchback version.

The only other hatchbacks in this size are the Mondeo which is made only because Ford has the money to make it, and the Insignia which is made by a company that made no profits for so many years that was forced to be sold. All other models are clearly saloons and stations. I think this trend will continue. In any case, most cars are short lived nowadays and they are not bought for ever. Mazda with the little financial power it has, will probably copy the big players.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 04:29:01 pm »
I seem to remember an article at the time when the current shape was launched which said that the reason there was no hatchback was that Mazda was trying to move away from competing with the likes of Ford and Vauxhall by aiming the new model at premium marques such as BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C Class, both of which had no hatchback.
Having said that, I have owned both the current and previous shape 6 and whilst the narrower boot opening can be a little awkward sometimes, the boot is huge and the rear seats fold flat giving almost as much storage space as the estate version.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:41 pm »

Having said that, I have owned both the current and previous shape 6 and whilst the narrower boot opening can be a little awkward sometimes, the boot is huge and the rear seats fold flat giving almost as much storage space as the estate version.
Being an owner of the 13-on M6 Saloon, I would not say it has a huge usable boot especialy when you have a spare wheel in situ. You cannot fit 2 pullman suitcases in the boot, nor a cooler/refrigerator standing up. There is a 4" box section under the parcel shelf which prevents  placing two  suitcases on top of each other. You do not want to be going on holiday with cases sat on the backs of the rear seats they should be in the boot out of sight. I bought a grasscutter and it was too large to fit in the boot, but just managed to squeeze it through one of the rear doors. Had the car been a hatchback none of the above problems would have been there.The Ford hatchback looks a smart shape,  but I will  not buy a Ford. The M3 has the hatchback and thats only a shrunk 6. 
My previous car (not a Mazda) was a hatchback and smaller and I didn't have trouble loading the boot for holidays, there was always spare usable space .
Why they call cars 5 seater when the rear middle space is not actually a seat. If you had 5 adults going on holiday in most cars you would have trouble finding space to put cases. When the wife and go on holiday we always dress for dinner, dresses, suits and ties. Recently we were on a dancing holiday and I had 3 suits and the wife 5 dresses with shoes to match, plus dance shoes and there wasn't a Black Tie night either.
I saw a video from a journalist touring  Spain, his suitcase wassmallwr than I would use for a long weekend. Obviously he didn't stay at any decent hotels.
Though I have managed to fit 22 bags of horsemanure in the car with the rear seats down. The other design failure is lack of rear lighting when reversing. They must have some strange ideas and driving practices these Japs.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 03:16:35 pm »
I had read a review about the current model and the article had information about the choices Mazda made during its development. It stated that after Ford sold its share, money ran short and Mazda could not afford to develop both a wide version for the North American markets and a European version. So they chose one and that was the North American saloon car. The station version is the old European car updated. Comparing the two models, the article concluded that the European updated old car version was more agile due to being smaller while the bigger North American new saloon car was less agile. So I think it is money talking about the lack of hatchback version.

The only other hatchbacks in this size are the Mondeo which is made only because Ford has the money to make it, and the Insignia which is made by a company that made no profits for so many years that was forced to be sold. All other models are clearly saloons and stations. I think this trend will continue. In any case, most cars are short lived nowadays and they are not bought for ever. Mazda with the little financial power it has, will probably copy the big players.

Why is the US model wider?
Is this to accommodate the obese US population?
A coupe version of any car only gives you less headroom and less space in the rear. The  M6  is almost a 4 door coupe with  the slope  down  down to the rear, rather than being a flat roof, saving on material and weight and probably a detriment to the  usuable boot area.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 04:29:40 pm »
I suppose Americans buy size first and then car.

I think a good example of the "coupe" sedans is the comparison between the Mercedes E Class and the CLS. Something like the Passat and the Passat CC.

I like the big fifth door but I do not buy new. So Mazda does not make money from such buyers. If more people were buying Mazda cars, they could continue offering lots of models but now, they have to reduce their expenses and make some dollar.