Author Topic: Buying a Mazda 6 - engine problems?  (Read 7578 times)

Offline mikec

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Buying a Mazda 6 - engine problems?
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:36:47 pm »
Hi. I don't own a Mazda 6 yet but am very interested in buying one and would be very grateful to hear anyone's opinions on a few issues.

I'm interested in a 2013 2.2 TD SkyActiv-D (approx 50K miles). I've done a bit of online research and found a few horror stories about Mazda's diesel engines which have led to big bills or even new engines. I guess there's always an element of risk if you're buying a car that's out of warranty but there seem to be a lot of these stories floating around.

1 - Does anyone know if these horror stories are as common as it seems? Or am I just finding the stories from a few very unlucky people?

2 - If there were problems, do they still exist? Or were they on earlier versions of the engine?

3 - Are there any other common faults / issues I should look for when buying a Mazda 6?

Many thanks for any advice that you can give.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Buying a Mazda 6 - engine problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:10:38 pm »
I think a lot of these stories refer to the second generation car (GH) and not the one (GJ) you are looking for. I may be wrong but if you have any horror stories with the GJ car, can you give some links?

All cars develop their own problems but the biggest issue with a used car is the previous owner(s), how they used the car and how they maintained it. The majority of the drivers are not car people and most of them end up with some shortcuts in maintenance either for money reasons or ignorance.

However, it is all about value for money at the end of the day. A brand new car starts from £22.5K, a nearly new car with 6K miles starts from £15.3K, but a 2013 car up 50K miles, starts from £8.2K with 34K miles on the clock. If you get the new car and keep it for 10 years, it will cost you around £2K per year on depreciation. With that money you can buy a "new" car with up to 50K miles every 4 years. I do not expect that a car with up to 50K miles will have been abused to such a degree that it will need expensive repairs. If you buy the £8.2K car and keep it for 10 years, you have an extra £1K cash in your pocket to do repairs every year for the next 10 years. I do not think you will need to worry about the need to pay this £1K every year in repairs.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:01:07 pm »
Hi the only problems with the GEN 3 2.2 6 is with in a certain range of 13 plate and very early 14 plate cars where the camshafts were not hardend properly at the factory in Japan which resulted in cam failure and also damaged the turbos there was never a recall but dealers were instructed to repair failures if the cars were under warranty and if outside warranty they have made contribution to the repairs. My advice would be to get a March onwards 14 plate or if you go for 13 plate have it checked by VIN number on the main dealers data base as to weather it has been modified and repaired i have just sold a March 14 plate and that car was 20000 cars after the issue was sorted had it for 2 years 36000 miles great car all i would say is with the diesles i have the oil and filter changed every 6000 miles £ 80 No DPF problems at all as with most cars petrol or diesle i always change the oil early but with a diesle and the regens i think the oil is shot by 10000 as it starts to get diluted so for peace of mind i have the intermeddiate oil change but that's just me. Oh and by the way i have changed the car up to a 2017 model 6 so as you can see i love them. As has been said most of the problems with DPF and timing chains are with the GEN 2 cars the petrol cars are bullit proof but with the GEN 3 if you want the top of the range it has to be a diesle and by March 2014 most problems sorted also make sure you have a warranty or extended warranty these days no matter what car they are to expensive to repair. Hope this helps.
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 03:32:55 pm »
If you go on the Mazda6OwnersClub forum, there is a sticky with all the faults which have come up with the Skyactive with the recall/TSB /MSP numbers and vin range.
I would stay clear of early 2013's due to the camshaft heavy wear  and timing chain stretch problems.

On the plus side, they are a comfortable drive and stick to the road well on as I found out driving the NC 500, 48 mpg round town and into the 50's on a run.
It costs me around 11p/mile on fuel. Never use supermarket diesel and often top up with BP Ultimate or Shell V power, which usually gives a better pence /mile.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire