Author Topic: Exhaust replacement  (Read 5100 times)

Offline ShakTS2

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Exhaust replacement
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:19:02 am »
Hi all
My 2008 6 saloon 2.0 petrol failed its mot on the rear exhaust blowing. It's the pipe thats shaped as a Y and goes into the 2 rear boxes the place where I took it says it's best to replace the 2 back boxes at the same time as there corroded. But they can not source the parts. Is there anywhere else that I can get them from? I dont really want to get them from mazda if i can help it
Thanks shakeel

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Exhaust replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:10:26 am »
Plenty of places by doing a Google search. 

Here is just one.  Based in Northampton  http://www.carpartgiant.co.uk/Products/Mazda/6/2.0L/Exhaust-Back-Box.aspx
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline ShakTS2

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »
Thanks willpower

I can not believe how expensive this car is. 1st the seat pins broke then the lower arm ball joints needed changing and now the exhaust at over 400plus.  >:(  should've kept the old trusty passat

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48:01 am »
These are normal repairs. The car is 10 years old with unknown history of use by the previous owners. You may just pay the cost of previous abuse that can reduce the life of the parts. The parts cost peanuts but the labour is another story.

The problem with repairs is that you pay for many years to come. So if you sell the car soon, you will feel that you lost out but you will make the next buyer super happy. If you run it to the ground, you will make it the most cost effective option.

What made you sell the Passat?

Offline ShakTS2

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:44:42 am »
It's not that bad its annoying when you buy a car and straight away have to do repairs. I sold the Passat for the arrival of my 3rd child. The Passat was a bit tight with the child seats and boot space but the mazda sucked it all up. I didn't want a mpv or estate

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:11:43 am »
That is the main reason most of the people sell their old cars. They have one of these free healthchecks, they realise that they have to pay cash for repairs and so they enter in another PCP "deal" and the cycle continues for ever. In reality, the depreciation is much higher than the repairs.

If you do these repairs, you will not have to do them again. It is more likely that you are the first owner who does these repairs.

It makes sense for the space and this were you have to balance the risk of another unknown quality old car compared to the trusty one.