Author Topic: I've just bought my first Mazda - a 6  (Read 3059 times)

Offline grumpyxch

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
I've just bought my first Mazda - a 6
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:20:15 am »
Hello, I've just bought my first Mazda - a 6, and I'm sure I'm not the first to come up against the problem of a spare wheel. I've been to my local Mazda dealer, and he couldn't quote a reliable price for a wheel as a kit (including jack, etc) or for separate parts because the pc couldn't get the answers. However, the figures he mentioned as an estimate were frightening. When I left him he said he would get the info and phone me, but a week later - nothing

Do any of you know what these things cost? Any way of getting a usable spare cheaper (I have seen places where they talk about using smaller space savers, but you need to know which smaller wheel will fit but still be usable).

Also, I understand the space saver can only be used at the back, so if a front tyre is flat, you fit the spare on the back and then fit the wheel from the back on the front m- is that true? That's a long time to be stuck on the hard shoulder (which is the most dangerous place to be on a motorway, smart motorways excepted).

Cheers

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: I've just bought my first Mazda - a 6
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 08:13:18 am »
Welcome to the forum. Sure you are not the first to come up against this problem and I would suggest that you have a read through the postings in the Wheels & Tyres section to acquaint yourself with potential answers to your questions.    http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?board=32.0

In answer to your second question, your solution is completely correct.  Spacesaver tyres are not designed to cope with the lateral stresses applied during steering. They are only intended to run in a straight line, as on a rear axle. Plus they have a maximum speed rating of 50mph (80Kph ) by European law. That might prevent you from travelling on a Motorway because although the minimum speed on a motorway is 50mph everyone else including HGV's will be hurtling past you. 

Basically Spacesavers are a "Get you home"  solution and should be changed out as soon as possible. 
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: I've just bought my first Mazda - a 6
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:19:32 am »
Do not buy a spare wheel kit from a dealer that cannot be sure what it fits in there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mazda-6-Tourer-Estate-2012-on-Space-Saver-Spare-Wheel-Kit-With-Tyre/273312220731?hash=item3fa2ad863b:g:lL4AAOSwLqFV-DEj

The cost does not make any sense at all but it is a niche item and so they can sell at any price they want.

You can find second hand versions from stolen or crashed cars but if you need a full size spare wheel, first check that it fits in there because there is a chance that there is no space for it.

In places like the ebay, you can check whether an item for sale fits your car. So if they say that it will fit, it is more likely than not that it will fit.

Carrying a spare wheel is OK but make sure that you can undo all other wheels by hand. It is quite possible that they will be done with the airgun and your best call will be the road assistance.

In that case, the time to fit the spare wheel at the back and do an extra change will be much less than the wait time for the road assistance.

Your best bet against tyre problems is tyre pressure, as most drivers go around with soft tyres. Also replace the tyres when they show the first cracks or wear close to the limit indicator.

As you are driving on motorways, when you have a flat tyre, stop the car and immediately walk away from the road, as far as you can get so that even when somebody crashes on your car or the barrier, you will not be harmed by the derbis flying around.