Author Topic: Less like condensation, more like a flood!  (Read 10906 times)

Offline zippy_6

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
Less like condensation, more like a flood!
« on: January 28, 2020, 06:24:18 pm »
Hi folks,

Just this winter, I've noticed a massive build-up of condensation inside my 2013 Mazda 6. Leaving it on the driveway overnight means that in the mornings, the interior of the windscreen is covered with water - enough to soak up more than a couple of sponges/chamois!
But that's just where it started ... wait for it ...
Opening the boot one day, I thought hello, the boot covering appears damp. Lifting it up, I find a pool of water in the wheel well. Hmm, now look at the side wells which are usually covered with a plastic 'odds-and-ends' tray on both left and right sides of the boot. Boom - half full of water!
So I cleaned it all out, left boot to air. Bought one of these desiccant bags from Halfords which did help in drying the boot as well the interior out (recommended!). Next weekend, take another look and guess what - the same quantities of water back in and dampness all round the boot. Noticed the seats getting affected as well, some spores of mould are forming  :-\.

One garage I rang suggested it might be coming from the indicator lamp housings; Google says rubber seals might be faulty. All in all, seems a detective job to figure out where the water is originating from.
Posting here to see if this is a known Mazda issue, or if there's anyone with experience of troubleshooting this kind of problem ... grateful for any insights. Will attempt to attach pics as replies as attachment file size is limited to 1Mb  ::).

Offline zippy_6

• S Class
Re: Less like condensation, more like a flood!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 06:25:23 pm »
Pic attached  ;D

Offline zippy_6

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:28:20 pm »
Won't allow uploading the final pic of the side well  :-[ and I don't have anything to reduce the image resolution and hence the overall file size.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:05:57 am »
It sounds like you have a leak. Maybe you could fold the rear seats, close yourself in the car/boot and have somebody to pour water on the outside. Somewhere it would start leaking.

It could leak from the rubber sealing the boot or the light clusters. If you did not have this car since new, the previous owner may have been into detailing. A lot of people remove the lights to clean them. I suppose if you do this multiple times, some kind of rubber seal may be destroyed.

Also, if you have not had this car since new, it may have been involved in a accident and the repair did not last well.

For the photos, you can use a program like "paint" and resize them. I think you cannot attach photos on the forum but you will need some kind of an photo host website to do this. So you could resize the photos, upload them somewhere like flickr, and then add the link here.

Offline zippy_6

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 03:38:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions @apav. Sounds like I might be in for a wet-n-wild weekend  :D.

Re file sizes - weirdly, when I reduced the size of the image in Paint to 60% of original. the file size went up from 1.2Mb to 1.6Mb. Go figure. I thought there was a way to change the image resolution but couldn't see it. Not to worry.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 07:11:59 pm »
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline zippy_6

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 07:46:02 pm »
Noted, Willpower  :) :