Author Topic: Timing Chain Stretch  (Read 3004 times)

Offline grumpyxch

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
Timing Chain Stretch
« on: April 01, 2022, 03:02:22 pm »
I've been finding what seems to be a lot of talk about stretched timing chains on mazdas (or have I just found a few posts but have found them more than once?). Is this a common problem on mazda engines or is it just on certain ones? Mine is a Mazda 6 2-litre petrol engine.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: Timing Chain Stretch
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 02:39:33 pm »
As you have a 2017 by the look of it , its not a problem . Back in 2012 early 13's they had a much thinner chain, but changed it to one a little thicker , but not as thick as the used to be be before they went to belts.
If you have the Forscan software and an OBD reader then you can monitor it.  Mines a 2014 model year and the chain is ok on that  with about 2°  stretch from the sensor. The sensors measure  how far the timing is out in degrees  and above a certain amount it needs changing, but they don't tell you that either in the handbook. My hand book is like War & Peace, but only good for pressing wild flowers, nothing in it thats usefull, or technical. A huge section on the entertainment system  which I don't understand yet never needed to  refer to it. Is top heavy with 'elf & safety'  that is pretty obvious, then they recommend you take your car to a dealer for the most minor of things. 
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire