Author Topic: Rear brakes advice  (Read 13316 times)

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Rear brakes advice
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 01:57:35 pm »
Erm, it is me again for the same problem!

I got the rear right caliper burning on Sunday. The other one brakes very little. So upset the previous so called repair did not even last one year.

As I started the previous repair on 15/3, I was motivated to get it checked. I went to another garage yesterday and he suggested to check the car today.

I am just back from garage.

Both calipers are seized, again. That clearly should have happened within one year.

The suggestion from the garage is to release everything, lubricate and put it back together but also to replace the handbrake cable because it is stretched.

He wants £220 for everything. From that, the cable costs £120.

It sounds too much money, on top of the £370 already paid.

I am back on the office to check whether there is a cheaper cable. He says that he only buys good quality.

I have seen the Euro Car Parts van over there and so the cable costs £17.49 and £95.99 minus the usual discounts but the rear cable is not available to order.

It is a Pagid item. The same thing over the sister Car Parts for Less, costs £11.34 and £64.56 with the same availability.

So basically his £120 for the cable is more or less what he can resell it.

I have to fix that even though I may move away soon and have the option to repair it to a trusted garage.

But as it stands, I do not want to cause more damage, I cannot find the parts online to buy them cheaper and the car is waiting with him.

If he does all that and I get a note to post to the old garage, I may get some of my money back within warranty. I doubt that but I am the optimistic kind of person.

The old garage in the letters we exchanged, wanted a review from another garage. So that works fine but still it is a very grey area.

I am going to have another chat with the garage and decide.

I am not really sure whether I miss something.