Author Topic: Front brake hum.........  (Read 8181 times)

Offline Johns6

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Front brake hum.........
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:57:43 pm »
Hi everyone!
My 2007 1.8TS hatchback has a hum! ...... I changed the discs and pads about 3 months ago due to warped original discs and since then the car has had a hum from about 25mph upwards ...... its not connected to engine speed as I can be coasting out of gear and its still the same. I bought Mazda discs and pads.

The hum is audible when travelling in a straight line or a little worse when turning left (above 25 - 30 mph) but disappears when turning right (above 25-30 mph). The pads make much more dust on the wheels than the original pads but I understand that replacement Mazda pads are dustier than originals? I was thinking along the lines of the pads binding on the discs but the discs don't get hot on a run so I'm guessing its not that? ... and fuel consumption is no different.....
Today I found that the pads were very tight in the slider/guides that the pads fit into in the caliper and the v shaped springs that fit into the pads weren't able to move the pad off the disc. I've eased the slider/guide out a little and the pads are now easier in the slider/guide without being loose. I've also put a very small amount of low melting point grease on the sliding surfaces.
I also bled the front brakes as the "Main stealer" who serviced the car this year said they had changed the brake fluid (50,000 mile service) but had somehow managed to do it without disturbing all the muck and dirt on the front bleed nipples (?).
So I put it all back together again and drove it ..... and the noise is still there although possibly a little less .....

Could it be the different material that the new pads are made of? ... I've still got the old pads that I'm going to put back on ASAP .... I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Or could it be something else? ...... I'm grateful for any other ideas!!! ..... its just odd that the problem has only happened since changing the pads and discs.......

Many thanks guys!!

John

Offline metalmickey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2005
Re: Front brake hum.........
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »
Could be the wheel bearing.
As for the brake dust, once the pads bed in you might notice less dust.

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »
what he said ^^^

sounds to me like a bearing problem. if the discs arent getting hot, they arent excessively rubbing, and humming is usually the tell tale sign of a brearing on its way out.

as for the dust, it may just be the surface coming off. leave then a few miles and keep an eye on dust.

Offline Johns6

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions guys!!

Well heres whats happened today........!

I put the old original Mazda pads back on and unbelieveably when I drove the car there was no hum noise whatsoever ..... like no noise at all ...... which led me to the conclusion that it must be the set of Mazda pads that I bought with the discs .....

Now in 25 years of messing around with cars, this was a new one on me ...... but like the saying goes ...don't take anything for granted....... I was well and truly heading down the road of a new wheel bearing as you guys suggested......

So I've been out and bought a new set of Lockheed Delphi pads and put them straight on - no messing about with the slider/guide...... and while there is a little noise its nothing at all like the hum from the Mazda pads.........

So it looks like thats the answer ..... I'll bed these pads in very carefully over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes...

But I've now got a set of three month old Mazda pads which cost about £50 ...... I wonder how to go about complaining to the dealership that I bought them from and getting my money back....... any ideas anyone?!!!!   

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:07:36 pm »
hmmm, a good result really then, maybe it was a problem with their seating, maybe they were vibrating? maybe they werent bedded in properly? or like you say, the pad could be at fault. difficult to tell over the internet. as for the pads, its worth a go, but mazda might say because you fitted them yourself, they arent coverd. that, or some over excuse for not refunding you. you never know though!

Offline Tinkz

• BOOM BOOM..........ZOOM ZOOM
  • S Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:04:54 am »
i saw this....
Warped rotors will pulse through the brake pedal but not make any noise, unless the brake pads are worn out. I suspect that when they replaced the pads they may have failed to use a silicone lubricant between the brake pad and the caliper piston or improperly installed the springs or anti-rattle clips. Lastly, it could just be that the new brake pads themselves are noisy. Some brands of semi-metallic pads are inherently noisier than others because of the ingredients used in the manufacture of the friction material. The humming noise that might be caused from use of these pads does not affect braking performance and does not indicate a brake problem. In many cses, once these pads seat in after a few hundred miles, the noise will go away or be substantially reduced.  And then thought bollox

Customer satisfaction is important and i think you should be able to get your money back  the noise is distracting and you have had to spend more money..... i wish you luck  ;)