Author Topic: my mazda 6 is gone  (Read 5650 times)

Offline marcus

• TS Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
my mazda 6 is gone
« on: November 26, 2019, 09:58:57 pm »
Hi all,

I've not posted for more than a year...thats because about a year ago on a quiet Sunday afternoon I was at home with my daughter when we heard a loud bang from outside our home. On going outside we found a car had driven into my Mazda6 and a neighbour's car. Both were written off. The driver ran off but as the car they were driving was insured I was given £1500 by my insurance co. for a 12 year old car. So long and short I have got rid of my Mazda 6! £1500 was not enough to buy a replacement and I have been without a car since. That might have made me feel virtuous but makes visiting family and shopping difficult. Now a year later I am looking for a car again. However what I notice is that in 2011, the last time I was car hunting, a 5 or 6 year old Mazda 6 was around 4.5-6K. But now a similar vehicle seem to be more like 7000-8000. I paid 3.6k for a 4.5 year old petrol TS2 with 60,000 miles. It never went wrong and I was really upset to lose it to a horrid git! Hopefully I'll return when I have found a replacement.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2009
Re: my mazda 6 is gone
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:47:52 am »
Hello marcus,

You got lucky to manage get some money back from a hit and run and £1,500 sounds like a good value for money. But as you say you cannot buy a similar car for that kind of money.

The prices have gone up during these 8 years. If you add the target 2% inflation to the minimum £4.5K that these 5-6 years old used to cost, it is about £100 per year. So over 8 years that £4.5K became £5.5K if not more.

The best thing you can is to always check the approved used cars first. You then have a price target and you can adjust for buying from a car auction dealer.

https://www.mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk/used-cars/search/?budget-program%5B%5D=pcp&custom%5B3611%5D%5B0%5D=3695&distance%5B%5D=0&finance%5B%5D=price&make%5B%5D=Mazda&order=price&per_page=48

It seems that the cheapest they have is £3.8K for a 2010 car with 88K miles.

But if you pay something more, you can buy a 2010 car with 28K miles for £4,850.

The cheapest third generation car is £6K but you need a £1K extra to buy a petrol car.

You should consider a petrol car for your local driving style because you will have all sorts of problems with the diesel car.

There is some kind of scrappage scheme ran by Mazda and every so often you can find ads on Auto Trader from the dealers selling off their show room cars for £15K. This sounds like great value but if you park outside on the road and somebody can write off the car, maybe it is not worthy.

The other thing you should consider is whether you really need a big car like this for not driving a lot. If you go through Auto Trader, you can buy brand new cars from £6,650. You may think that such small car may not be good for you, but until you see it face to face and test drive it, you will not know. Buying a brand new car with 5-7 years warranty and lower running costs, may be a good trade-off against a used car for the same money. You can still buy these brad new cars for £1K-£2K less than the brand new price if you go for a used version and get a 1-2 years old car for around £4K.

Offline marcus

• TS Class
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2006
Re: my mazda 6 is gone
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:41:38 pm »
thanks Apav some good points.