Author Topic: 2.0i petrol  (Read 8502 times)

Offline gregm

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
2.0i petrol
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:14:30 pm »
on a 2.0i petrol mazda 6 is it a chain or a timing belt ,oh its a 59 plate

Offline andyk3090

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Fuel: LPG
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Re: 2.0i petrol
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »
Pretty sure it is a chain as there isn't a belt change schedule in the service book.

Andy

Offline old onions

• TS Class
    • old onions
  • Colour: Phantom Purle Mica (34N) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:03:20 am »
Confirm that petrol engined Mazda 6s have chain driven cams.
There has been a lot of activity on this site and the previous one about the cam chain stretching, so if you are buying from a dealer it would be a good idea to get an assurance that if your car is affected , that the checks have been done and it is OK.
Andy

Offline Wombat

• S Class
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »
Hi,
Never heard of any cam chain problems with the petrol engine.
FWIW, the basic engine is the same as used in the mondeo MK3 and MK4 petrol 2.0. It's a Mazda design, but as Mazda were 33% owned by Ford at the time (now 5%. I think) they licensed its use. If you check the end of your dipstick it says 'FoMoCo', as it does on the vertical cam chain cover on the front of the engine (l/h side when viewed from front) and other places as well. It is the same basic engine as is used in the MX5 MK3 (turned around, obviously!). It's just all the ancillaries and ECUs that are  different from the Ford, and the Ford is made in a different factory.
The oil filters are the same, your Mazda genuine filter is made in the UK, no doubt at the Ford supplier.
Occasionaly MX5s have been delivered brand-new with Ford-badged oil filters fitted.
At launch, Mazda were proud of the fact their cam-chain 2.2 diesel was designed without outside assistance. No one else I'm aware of uses this diesel engine (or the previous belt cam 2.0 diesel). So only Mazda is to blame for its cam chain and dpf problems.

Excuse long answer!