Author Topic: 2.2 163bhp Diesel Fuel Injector Failure Resulting in Blocked Oil Strainer.  (Read 7339 times)

Offline mrwill2011

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
My Mazda 6 is currently at the local Mazda dealers (Edwards in Worcester) suffering from a blocked oil strainer caused by a faulty fuel injector seal. They tell me that fortunately there are no metal fragments in the strainer, so hopefully there is no serious engine damage.

What they are also telling me is that it is "not very easy" to clean the strainer, and it needs replacing. But it cannot be replaced, and the way forward is to replace the part of the engine that holds the strainer. This will cost around £680, and take six hours labour at £100 an hour!

Previous threads on this topic have indicated that it is a simple yet dirty job to clean the strainer, and there is a helpful post with a photo showing the strainer removed from the engine.

Also, I understand from them that when the car was first recovered to them, with clear instructions from me that it was likely to be a strainer/injector issue, they put some engine flush in, and then ran the car to see if this would improve things(!) To my mind the first thing to have done would have been to drop the sump to have a look at the strainer, rather than firing the engine up and risking damage.

I am going to have a meeting with them tomorrow to go through the costings. Can anybody comment on this generally, and specifically concerning whether the strainer can be cleaned or replaced?

Many thanks!

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Re: 2.2 163bhp Diesel Fuel Injector Failure Resulting in Blocked Oil Strainer.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:45:32 pm »
I have had no experience with blocked oil strainers but I have read the posts from fellow forum members. After reading your post this seems like another example of a Mazda dealership not listening to its customers!

Because of this well documented fault and the fact that you had pointed this out to the dealership, you are right to question why they carried out an engine flush. Maybe you could kick off and get a discount off the bill!

Why can't they clean the strainer? If there are no metal filings, what's the problem? I have spoken with Freelance Mazda in the past regarding this issue and from what I understand it isn't a difficult job to remove and clean.

It should be even simpler for a main dealer @ £100 p/h!!!!

Farnsy

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:33:35 pm »
They appear to be the masters of BS ... trying to fob off a customer.

Of course the strainer can be cleaned !!!!

Offline mrwill2011

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:18:47 pm »
Many thanks indeed both of you for your assistance.

Kind regards.

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Year: 2009

Offline mrwill2011

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:21:59 pm »
Many thanks everyone for your replies. I have done a deal with Edwards Mazda that involved p/x of the Mazda 6 for a Mazda 3 petrol. I don't feel too bad about it. Sorry to see the 6 go, but I think getting rid of it was the best bet on the basis that there could have been expensive engine damage that would come to light after it had been started up again after cleaning the strainer out.

Mazda customer services offered 55% towards any authorised repairs, but weren't prepared to contribute to the cleaning of the strainer as it wasn't an authorised repair. Don't really understand their thinking, but that's what they said.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:06:48 pm »
See you on the Mazda 3 Forum  :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.