Author Topic: DIY ECU Reset  (Read 38686 times)

Offline Elwood

• TS Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
DIY ECU Reset
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:57 pm »
My car was due for a service and the DPF light started flashing. My car was booked in at an independant garage, but was not due for a few days. As the service was due 500 miles previously, I suspected that the flashing DPF light is also used as a service indicator. I checked the oil level and it was nowhere near the X mark. I remembered having filed away details of how to manually reset the ECU and decided to try it out.

Basically, it's earthing out this pin socket

and doing the following.

Before connecting the wire, turn ON the ignition.
    Connect the pin socket to earth (I used the battery earth as it's so near).
    Press the accelerator to the floor and release 5 times
    Ignition OFF and disconnect.

The first time I did this, nothing happened, but after a couple more tries, I found that the accelerator had to be depressed and released rapidly. The glowplug warning light flashed briefley and the DPF light vanished. After switching off and disconnecting the wire, on restarting the car, I was pleased to see that the DPF light went out as usual.

I've driven the car for a couple of hundred miles since and all seems to be well and hopefully will be until it is serviced.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: DIY ECU Reset
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:57:12 pm »
At this point I think it is wise to make everyone aware of one of the paragraphs in the forum Rules and Regulations.

http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/newforum/index.php?topic=417.0

15.   Opinions, advice and all other information expressed by participants in discussions are those of the author. You rely on such information at your own risk. Participants are urged to seek professional advice for specific, individual situations and not rely solely on advice or opinions given in the discussions.

These were put there for your guidance and protection.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:43:24 am »
This top may well put out your service light, but what we don't know is, does it reset the oil dilution? nobody seems to know..... personally i would find a local garage to do this for me as we've no idea what effect or harm this may have.

Dave

Offline Alan S

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »
Done twice on ours, once on a diy oil change and recently after a top gasket and seals change (everything above the head gasket). Garage couldn't do a reset so I did on it's return.

Alan

Offline harrymazda

• S Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
 :)
Used this reset for the second time today. On the first occasion the car had done 46,000 miles. The car and had been serviced by an independent dealer for several years, hence the service interval had never been reset. Last weekend the DPF came up again and when I checked the car was about 100miles short of 12,500 miles since the last reset. I was confident this was only a service interval warning; the car continues to drive well and has only done about 6,000miles since the last oil change and the oil level is well short of the X mark.

Offline stephent

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:51:12 pm »
Which mazda 6 models will this work on?

Offline harrymazda

• S Class
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:56:40 pm »
:)
Used this reset for the second time today. On the first occasion the car had done 46,000 miles. The car and had been serviced by an independent dealer for several years, hence the service interval had never been reset. Last weekend the DPF came up again and when I checked the car was about 100miles short of 12,500 miles since the last reset. I was confident this was only a service interval warning; the car continues to drive well and has only done about 6,000miles since the last oil change and the oil level is well short of the X mark.

It's now 6 months since I reset the ECU using the method quoted in this forum. No problems with the car, it still drives well and I would do another rest If I felt it was appropriate. IE the oil level was well below the X mark on the dip stick. I don't do many miles and try not to use the car for too many short runs before planning in a decent drive out of at least 20 miles on a relatively fast road.

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:22:29 am »
Attached here is the oil data reset requirements and procedure for all the Mazda models straight from Mazda.  It even includes the data for the latest 2013 SkyActive engines.
Hope it helps.

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:34 am »
Interesting to note that the 2.2 diesel can be reset via the throttle and brake pedal, i think it would be worth a post in the general section to let the owners of the 2.2 know.
Nothing about resetting via the obd port (the wire method) for the 2.0 diesel, it just says MDS.

Dave

Offline jazz

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »
Interesting to note that the 2.2 diesel can be reset via the throttle and brake pedal, i think it would be worth a post in the general section to let the owners of the 2.2 know.
Nothing about resetting via the obd port (the wire method) for the 2.0 diesel, it just says MDS.

Dave
2.2 engine it says refer to the work shop manual for detailed procedure, any ideas.

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 09:15:51 pm »
Tried the procedure as shown on this Mazda technical bulletin. (the one that i posted)
Didn't work.  Nothing happened. No lights, no nothing!!!
 >:( >:( >:(

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 09:03:46 am »
Tried the procedure as shown on this Mazda technical bulletin. (the one that i posted)
Didn't work.  Nothing happened. No lights, no nothing!!!
 >:( >:( >:(

On the up side..... The first post above really does work.  I was dubious that all it did was turn the light off without actually resetting the ECU oil dilution data back to zero.

I reset it as described after an oil change ( i believe it will only work if all the doors are shut).
I then took it down to Mazda and asked them to read off the oil data reset value from their IDS computer.
They confirmed that the ECU showed a reset 5 miles previous.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 10:53:06 am »
678hug download does not open, though I think I may have downloaded this and printed it some time back if it applies to using the pedals.
I querried it with dealer andthey don't knowany thing about this method (  but then they would say that, as they would be loosing business).
They have also changed the fusebox layout on the 2013 Skyactive diesels.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline DaveMc89

• S Class
  • Colour: Cosmic Blue Mica (34M) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 12:40:57 pm »
Just wanted to bump this post back to the top, saved me a trip to a garage after the initial scare of why is my dpf flashing. 2011 2.2d 6