Author Topic: Problems selecting gears  (Read 14110 times)

Offline m.j.holroyd

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2008
Problems selecting gears
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:40:28 am »
Hi,all
       I have just bought a 6 diesel on a 58 plate,although i am generally very pleased with it, it does have a few issues. The one that concerns me most is.When cold you set off fine when selecting 2nd gear it isn't a smooth action and crunches into gear,then when 3rd is required it is difficult to dis-engage from 2nd. selected 4th feels as though it hasn't actually engaged and feels very woolly. (for want of a better discription).Once the car has warmed up all is good,apart from the woolly 4th. The car is an ex lease car and i dare say had a hard life. But has had F.M.S.H and a new clutch fitted. Any ideas and/or advice would be appreciated.

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2006
Re: Problems selecting gears
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:54:25 am »
Not uncommon for the gearbox to be crunchy and stiff when cold, my 1st to 2nd can be pretty poor unless i change really slowly when cold.
I am going to change my gearbox oil as i had this problem on my last Mazda and that cured it 8) i surgest you try a gearbox oil change first as it might not have been changed in the past, not many dealers bother doing this even with a FMSH.
I'm going to give Motul Motylgear 75W-90 a try.

Dave

Offline m.j.holroyd

• S Class
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:52:53 pm »
mmm. i had hoped it would be something simple like that.When i spoke to my independent garage he started talking about synchrose on their way out.

Offline slidey

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:37:22 pm »
The gearboxes seem to be very reliable on these cars, i don't think anyone on here has ever had one replaced, it could even be that in the past someone has put the wrong grade oil in, this will make the change very hard, this has happened before when a forum member had his oil changed and the selection was stiff and terrible, they thought all cars use 80w90 not 75w90.
So it's well worth trying that first.

Dave

Offline andyk3090

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Fuel: LPG
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »
I have a 61 plate TS2 and the gears on that can be difficult when cold. My last one a 58 plate diesel sport was ok though.

Andy

Offline PanPilot

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:16:07 pm »
My '14 Mazda 6 D has the best gearchange of any car I've ever had. Provided it has the right oil!
I know this because when I had some major work done and the transmission was removed and refitted, the wrong oil was used in error. The result - crunch, crunch, takes three attempts to coax it in. I returned it to the dealer and moaned, they drained and replaced the oil with the correct stuff, and, hey presto, the gearchange is like flicking a switch again. Anecdotally, MX-5's are also very susceptible to this. I don't know the specific grades of oil, but I daresay I can find out if anyone is interested...