• Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
DPF
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:23:04 pm »
How do the majority live with this problem when the majority probably do more short journeys than long ones? do they all buy petrol vehicles? not from what i see on the roads. so come on how do you avoid the problem?   i need to buy a new car and quite frankly it seems a minefield of expensive faults waiting to happen. i drive journeys mostly under half hour with maybe a blast down the M5 for 20 min now and again plus the odd hour motorway run. i think this must tally with hundreds of others who still drive a diesel cars. so once again how do you do it

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: DPF
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:36:19 pm »
I would suggest that you take some time to do some research on this forum regarding DPF problems. There is a wealth of information available.

Go to the HOME page and enter DPF in the search box.  There are over 200 postings related to DPF's  that might help answer some of your questions. This is the easiest way to use a forum. Most questions will have been asked and possibly answered before. Reading through these postings is the way to go.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:49:14 pm »
Hi One bit of advice that a lot of diesel owners are now doing. Go for the late model engines most DPF problems sorted plus OIL AND FILTER  CHANGES every 6000 miles or 6 months if you don't do the miles. Then LONG or SHORT journeys NO DPF problems BUT if you don't do that many miles then go petrol. Most owners are in diesels not just because of the milage but because if you want top of the range with all the toys then in most makes of vehicles you have to go diesle as in the UK they don't do a petrol option. But as Will has said read the posts on the forums and you will get your answers.
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 08:38:19 am »
I would also suggest the petrol car for your type of driving.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:12:03 am »

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.