Author Topic: Engine Management Warning Light On  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Steve587

• S Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Engine Management Warning Light On
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:44:56 am »
2009 2.2 diesel TS2 - recently had engine management warning light on for 2 weeks, although no noticeable change in how the car drove. It has now gone off for the last few days. I've had the light come on randomly in the past (maybe about 4 times over 4 years), but only for a few days, again with no noticeable effect on the car. Car is regularly serviced and I now only do low mileage (total is only 29k) trips, although the last time the light came on I was returning from Manchester to the North East. Any ideas - I've spoken with Mazda dealers and they (obviously) recommend getting a diagnostic check, but for at least £90 plus VAT, I'm loathe to pay for something that seems a bogus indication.

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Engine Management Warning Light On
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:50 am »
Buy yourself a diagnostic reader for about £20 on ebay.
Read the stored code yourself by plugging it in under the dash above the pedals.

Offline Browny_37

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2012
Re: Engine Management Warning Light On
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:40 pm »
From personal experience, I really would suggest having the cars ecu inspected for any pending or long standing codes as soon as possible.
Mazda parts aren't the cheapest from a dealers, I was quoted £2000 for a DPF from my local Mazda garage.

The DPF Temp sensors are around £300 each and there is two of them. And then there's the DPF differential pressure sensors at around £500 each and theres two of them too.

I won't bore you with the nitty gritty of the scenario, but alot of damage occured and it got expensive really quick and the car never seamt the same after.

All for the sake of not pulling over and getting it towed to a garage and having it looked at (wasn't giving a fault code),  to which they find out a £80 boost solenoid had packed in.

Back on topic

The ELM327 units with a HS/MS switch that are listed for Forscan on Ebay, are well worth the £15-£20.
Forscan is a very good piece of diagnostic software for a free piece of software and will take allow you to read fault codes from pretty much most of the modules. ABS, PCM, RVM, etc etc.

If you are comfortable using a pc/laptop and can apply a little common sense, its pretty straight forward to get your head around (not that I'm suggesting you don't have any common sense)

Just dont go jumping into any of the learning modes in the service modes tab unless you really know what your doing.

From what I can make out. That learning the DPF differential sensors and the DPF learn values can cause damage to the DPF if you try and force the car to perform a regen after said values have been relearned.

And for this reason I won't be touching any of these parts of the software.