Author Topic: No spare and doubts on Repair kit  (Read 8839 times)

Offline nailit

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2015
No spare and doubts on Repair kit
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:58:10 pm »

Having been searching around for a spare either space saver or larger for a sport nav on 19", and failing. I have come across this video which may have just convinced me to stick with the repair kit!  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieBgN1PNgOk

you can skip the AD unless its a mazda of course  :)

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
Re: No spare and doubts on Repair kit
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 03:07:34 pm »
Chances are probably only 50/50 that the gunk kit will do the job. The nail I picked up earlier this year was on the shoulder and the gunk kit would not have fixed it so the car would have had to be recovered with all the hassle that entails.

Incidentally, unless you have a full size spare then you shouldn't fit it on the front as shown in the vid. Also, if you do use the gunk then I think you have to drive the car immediately afterwards to spread it around in the tyre and then possibly top up the pressure again.

Space savers are not a patch on a full size spare either but better than the gunk. When I carried a full size spare in my old TS2 the indications were that it might have taken about 0.5 mpg off the fuel consumption, that's all.

I believe that the recovery people (AA/RAC etc.) now carry generic spacesavers with wheel hub adapters. These allow you to drive to a tyre place and they collect them later.

Offline nailit

• S Class
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 03:27:24 pm »
Thanks for you reply Colin. Not that I'm questioning it but is it illegal or just recommended for safety? Seems confusing that the manufacturers were providing spacesavers, I had read this warning before tho' may have even been here!

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:54:46 pm »
It should be against the law for manufactures to produce and sell cars without spare wheels even the space saver is not the answer but it is better than the repair kit. Puncture on a motorway 90% chance of a shredded tyre before you can stop, THE KIT USELESS. At least a space saver would get you home or to the sevices. I had to go for the space saver when i bought mine done a deal at the time of purchase, but i do think manufactures should not have been allowed to get away with not providing a full size spare. And i haven't heard any of the motoring organisations kick up about it at all. DISGRACEFULL !

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »
The handbook clearly states not to use the spacesaver on the front. Just imagine the effect on the steering and braking of two wheels of differing sizes and degrees of grip - nightmare! On the back the spacesaver just trails, certainly not ideal but safer.

Also, as Steve says, the gunk is only effective with a slow puncture. Once you have driven on the flat it is ruined and no amount of gunk will save it. If they won't provide a full size spare then they should at least provide the space for one and  on the Gen 3 they haven't.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:04:14 pm by ColinB »

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:52 pm »
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch