Author Topic: 2.2 Diesel 59 Plate Oil Pressure WARNING  (Read 65837 times)

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2.2 Diesel 59 Plate Oil Pressure WARNING
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 02:09:51 pm »
Just an update from my original post.

I'm 50000 miles on from the original blockage and decided to align a check of this strainer with my 112500 service.
Took the sump off and the strainer was totally clean and no sign of any blockage.

Offline F1r3

• S Class
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 04:02:39 pm »
First time post on this forum, wanted to share my store on my 11 plate Mazda 6 2.2 Diesel Sport.

Please forgive me for my lack of technical knowledge - I have absolutely no technical knowledge on cars - the information I have below is what I have in writing from my garage.

I had exactly the same problem as outlined above.

About a month ago the oil pressure light flickered for a split second on my way to work but stayed off.  On my way back home in the evening, not 2 miles out the flickering resumed and stayed on.  I pulled over immediately and called the RAC to haul me to Colliers which was not far away.

They found after investigating that the strainer was blocked by carbon swarf.  They took the sump, oil pump and strainer off which they cleaned, refitted the oil pump, strainer and sump again.  Refilled with oil and reset the oil data.

The reason they gave me: "The reason for the oil strainers to block on this type of engine/vehicles, is due to a leaking injector washer, the blow-by gas amount increases excessively,
causing carbon formation on the oil strainer." ... "This fault can happen on this type of vehicle and the causal part at fault is the injector washers and not just natural carbon build up due to mileage/age etc."

The injector seals were replaced at my 75k service, which was 1k miles before this happened.  The total bill for the work (4 man hours they charged me + some parts): 509 quid.

This week Tuesday, one month and 4 days after the first problem, it happened AGAIN.  Cleaned the strainer again and they gave me 50% of goodwill on the invoice (200 total this time) because it happened again so soon.  Their explanation was, this is probably left over carbon swarf, not new deposits, from deeper inside the engine that got loose and blocked the strainer again.

They also agreed to check the strainer again in one months time free of charge to see if it's getting clogged again or not.

I then asked them why they couldn't clean it properly after which they explained they could not do this without taking the whole engine apart which will of course cost a whole lot more.   They never presented this option to me in the first place, they are happy to have repeat business of course!

I have a few longer trips coming up with the car, expecting to be doing between 1500-2000 miles this month, I hope it doesn't break down on me again and the next check will show the strainer to be completely clean but I've not been very lucky with it so far so not getting my hopes up.

Offline Mazdaman

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »
As a matter of course I drain oil and insert a camera into sump to examine oil strainer on 2.0 Diesel engines from 63000 miles onwards as part of my servicing on customers cars and on 2.2 engines I remove sump only 30 mins as oil is drained anyways local dealer wanted 2 hrs labour added onto service time. Another dealer told me of the problem 3 years ago and they do the camera check as part of there service as well as they are of the same belief as me that prevention is better than an un happy customer.

Offline baz-r

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 07:35:03 am »
2.2 Diesel 59 Plate Oil Pressure WARNING

I have attached the workshop manual details on how to remove the sump pad and how to remove the injectors.  It says Mazda 3 on the sheets, but it is exactly the same MZR-CD 2.2 Diesel engine.

I think i'll be cleaning the strainer and replacing the injector seals myself every 37500 miles.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Any chance I could have access or a copy / link to said engine workshop manual that has been deleted by administration
I can't find the data for the 2.2 engine anywhere

Offline captainbongo

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 05:47:34 pm »
I am in the middle of this nightmare! (2010 2.2 estate)

Exact same symptoms - oil light came on, towed to local main dealer (where it has been serviced as per schedule, most recently 87500 service 8 weeks ago). Latest is that it looks like a new engine and turbo  :'(

I have everything crossed that Mazda with stump up most, if not all, of the costs - perhaps wishful thinking! The outcome may well determine if I remain a Mazda owner after 12 mostly happy years. And I test drove the most recent edition in July - maybe I should have gone for it  :-\

Offline Gizzy92

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:08 am »
Hi 678hug,

I will be doing a full service tomorrow and as a precaution cleaning the oil strainer, I was wondering if you could tell me what torque figures you used for the sump pan?

Kind regards

Gizzy

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 10:55:25 am »
Good luck. Here's the picture with the torque figures on it.  I left it overnight before refilling to allow drying of the sealant.

Offline Flibbertygibbert

• S Class
  • Colour: Graphite Mica (38R) Metallic
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 03:09:53 pm »
2.2 Diesel 59 Plate Oil Pressure WARNING

Ok here’s the story. Please, please read this if you own this model.

59 plate 2.2 diesel with 72000 miles.  Full service history with correct oil used, no DPF problems and 95% motorway miles.

On a mild morning, 2-3 minutes after start, oil pressure light came on.  Pulled over. After a few restarts, light went out.  Drove the one mile back home. Oil level checked just below the full mark (not the overfull mark). Panic set in as I immediately suspected an oil pump.  Later in day another 10 second flash of the same light. No abnormal engine noises.

Oil and oil filter replaced. Oil data reset carried out using the pedal method described on this forum.   New oil pressure switch fitted.  70 mile test drive under various conditions and driving styles, problem did not re occur.

Internet reading (mainly this forum) showed a blocked oil strainer as possible cause.
Removed sump pan (putty knife / thin scraper required) and found strainer contaminated with carbon. As you can see, from the before and after pictures,it isn't easily accessible. I had to clean it by poking my little ginger into the hole and used a small paint spray gun cleaning brush.  Also used plenty of brake cleaner which comes in a high pressure spray tin

Strainer cleaned. Oil pan refitted using Loctite 5910 sealant.

Further reading showed possible cause as fuel injector seal leakage allowing combustion gases to leak back up past the injector, into the head. This can cause carbon contamination to be carried back to the sump by the oil system.

Didn’t know how difficult it would be to remove a carboned injector so I put car into Mazda dealer for seal replacement.  2 hours labour at £100 / hour + £20 for 4 new seals.  The seal on the left shows carbon leakage across complete surface whereas others have a clear gold band of copper concentrically around the seal. The number one injector shows carbon contamination on the body

Mazda told me that this was the 3rd one with this problem that they’d seen in the past 6 weeks.  Unfortunately for the other 2, both needed a new engine and turbo where the lack of oil pressure had caused damage beyond repair.  £7500!!!!

Whilst in Mazda, I asked them to check their computer to see when the last oil data reset was carried out.  They confirmed it was done 80km ago which proves that the pedal method, not only resets the light, but also resets the ECU oil data.  The £220 I spent here will be recovered as I no longer have to go to the dealer just for an oil change.

Here are some pictures from another internet search showing somebody else’s experience with the same problem

It may be unrelated, but at 50000 miles, i was on my drive with the engine running and i heard a noticeable change in the tone of the engine similar to when the air con compressor cuts in.  Previous to this my car had always maintained 48mpg but following this, it fell to 44mpg over the next week and i have never been able to get it back to 48.  The next few weeks should tell.

I have attached the workshop manual details on how to remove the sump pad and how to remove the injectors.  It says Mazda 3 on the sheets, but it is exactly the same MZR-CD 2.2 Diesel engine.

I think i'll be cleaning the strainer and replacing the injector seals myself every 37500 miles.

Hi,

I keep reading about the Injectors causing this issue but can you explain to me as a little confused how a leaking injector seal contaminates the oil? They sit seperately from the oil and a leak to my knowledge would only cause blow by to atmosphere past the injector causing carbon deposits around the injector and causing a chuffing sound. The injectors do not come into contact with the oil imo.

This surely can only be caused by lack of maintenance or Diesel/oil contamination?

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:21 am »
Here we go again.......
Car due for 150 000 service this weekend, and, as i have religiously checked every 37 500 since the original oil pressure problem, i was due to drop the sump and check the strainer.

Today (Wednesday), joined the motorway, car lost power, oil light came on, engine stalled.
Drifted over to hard shoulder. Car failed to restart.

AA have taken car round to Mazda dealer but recovery driver said it started when he tried it but oil pressure light stayed on so immediately turned off again.

I initially thought catastrophic engine failure / chain snapping etc, but now i know it restarts, i'm suspecting the same as before. Clogged sump strainer caused by leaking injector seals.  The high pressure combustion gases force their way into the oil system in the head as the injectors run all the way through.

Not sure if they'll be able to look at it today, but i'll report back when they contact me.

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 07:36:06 am »
Well here's how it ended.
Mazda dealer made it clear that there may be engine damage due to oil starvation.  I asked them to do minimum work to allow me to get back on the road and i'd take my chances with the damage and hope i got away with it because it only ran with the oil pressure light on for 3-4 seconds. 

7 days later and £583.46 - Oil strainer cleaned. New oil & filter. 4 new injector washers.  The receipt did say they found what could have been big end bearing material in sump which was a bit concerning.

Worked fine on Mazda road test. Worked fine on my 5 mile drive home.  Next trip on motorway, knocking appeared. See video below for what it sounded like.  On the back of an AA truck again.  Got it home, and took top end covers off.  As you can see, a lot of carbon around camshafts particularly from number 3 injector.  You can see where it leaks through between the rocker cover and camshaft carrier.

No comeback on Mazda as they had made it clear from the start that engine damage was likely and all they did is what i asked them to do.

Anyway, no happy ending here.  Had enough. £601 on a salvage auction.  Hopefully it'll be picked up in a couple of days.  Realy wanted a similar sized hatchback so i've ended up going for a plain old boring Mondeo (although it is a Titanium X with loads of gadgets).

Thanks to all those who have helped me on this forum over the years.  Hope i helped a few others too.  I'll be popping in every now and again to see if i can still assist.

Video of noise is here -     https://www.mediafire.com/?z4czklt33412146

Apologies for the rotation of the pictures below.  Was ok on my PC before i uploaded them

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 10:18:36 am »
That is so scary!

What would you say that was your average rpm?

Also, do you recall your average mpg and average speed figures?

I have the same generation but the 2.0 version and I am driving at low rpm with the benefit of getting 66+mpg. I am not really sure whether I destroy the car or not, because the oil may not properly circulate with my average 1400-1500 rpm. But then I do not feel confident of using it at high rpm because if there is a problem, it will make things worse.

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 10:49:43 am »
Cant really remember the average rpm but it was 95% motorway so i guess 2000-2500 rpm.
MPG was 46

Offline biggles

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:02:32 pm »
Well here's how it ended.
Mazda dealer made it clear that there may be engine damage due to oil starvation.  I asked them to do minimum work to allow me to get back on the road and i'd take my chances with the damage and hope i got away with it because it only ran with the oil pressure light on for 3-4 seconds. 

7 days later and £583.46 - Oil strainer cleaned. New oil & filter. 4 new injector washers.  The receipt did say they found what could have been big end bearing material in sump which was a bit concerning.

Worked fine on Mazda road test. Worked fine on my 5 mile drive home.  Next trip on motorway, knocking appeared. See video below for what it sounded like.  On the back of an AA truck again.  Got it home, and took top end covers off.  As you can see, a lot of carbon around camshafts particularly from number 3 injector.  You can see where it leaks through between the rocker cover and camshaft carrier.

No comeback on Mazda as they had made it clear from the start that engine damage was likely and all they did is what i asked them to do.

Anyway, no happy ending here.  Had enough. £601 on a salvage auction.  Hopefully it'll be picked up in a couple of days.  Realy wanted a similar sized hatchback so i've ended up going for a plain old boring Mondeo (although it is a Titanium X with loads of gadgets).

Thanks to all those who have helped me on this forum over the years.  Hope i helped a few others too.  I'll be popping in every now and again to see if i can still assist.

Video of noise is here -     https://www.mediafire.com/?z4czklt33412146

Apologies for the rotation of the pictures below.  Was ok on my PC before i uploaded them

Sorry to hear the unhappy ending. Thanks for sharing the information and the pictures.

I have a 2010 (GH) 2.2 diesel Mazda 6 with 70 000 miles on the clock, 163bhp and I've just had to replace the timing chain after it having excessive wear. My DPF had almost no soot in and was not blocked. The dealer in France wanted €1720 (around £1500) to do the repair and Mazda France agreed to pay half of that.

There was no sign of leakage past the injectors so I did not have oil pan removed and the oil cleaner checked.

I am now considering getting the DPF removed. But now after reading your posts, I am wondering if I should cut my losses and, like you, get a Mondeo or perhaps a Passat?

Did you have any timing chain problems, di you get a DPF removal for your car and was your car the GH model?

All the best,
Mark

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 08:14:46 am »
Hi,
Yes my car was the GH model but i never had any timing chain problems.
Didn't have the DPF removed as it would fail the annual UK test (MOT) if not fitted, and the DPF hadn't caused any problems whatsoever.

If you have changed the timing belt, any injector leakage would have showed as carbon contamination in the camshaft area.

I only kept the Mondeo for 2 weeks as it was way too big and the performance was very average at best.
I ended up selling it and getting a Mazda 3 fastback.  Very nice to drive but very impractical if you have to carry things around due to the small opening for the boot. 

Just want my old Mazda 6 back if i'm honest.