Author Topic: Haven't Bought it yet  (Read 4672 times)

Offline M4zdaDriver

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2005
Haven't Bought it yet
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:12:32 pm »
Hi all

Firstly as this is my first post - Hello and sorry if this post is in the wrong place

I have been looking at Mazda 6 s for a while now and I think that I'll be purchasing one shortly

I will be buying a petrol estate as its going to be a family car that doesn't do many miles. I think I've found the one that I'm looking for but I wondered if those in the know might be able to give me some idea of impending service costs or faults that I should check for when I get to see the car.

I am currently looking at a 2005 (05 plate) S Estate with 70000 miles on the clock. I know that the engine has a timing chain rather than a belt so I know I won't have to worry about that cost but is there a water pump or another device that the chain drives that will have to be changed? Does any one know of any other parts that will need changing and issues that might arise with a car of this age mileage?

All comments gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Offline andy_the_spruce

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2005
Re: Haven't Bought it yet
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:11 pm »
Hi,

I bought an 05 turbo-diesel sport in March and have a had a number of things go wrong with it, most of which seem to be common. The bearings are rubbish and will often go at this mileage. I've had the off-side front one go, and now the n/s one may be going. They are also prone to rust on the rear wheel arches so check for signs (or previous repairs) very carefully. Mine needed a very expensive cambelt change but I think you are right, the petrol is chain driven. The Suction Control Valve went, but again that is diesel related. I think you are doing the right thing going for a petrol, I wouldn't buy another Mazda diesel. Also mine's a Sport with the fancy Xenon headlights which are a nightmare and have cost me hundreds to get working, so avoid them if you can.

So all I have to offer for buying a petrol is to check the bearings and the wheel arches, and avoid models with Xenon headlights. Hope this helps.