Author Topic: Trouble shifting into certain gears  (Read 7989 times)

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Trouble shifting into certain gears
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 12:09:34 pm »
You are right that there may be something else, other than the gearbox like the mounts not allowing the perfect alignment.

What did they say when you explained that double clutching resolves the problem?

I get the occasional lack of 1st gear selection while stopped but that is all. The same thing was happening on the previous car and the garage had said it was the gearbox, simply by trying to put it in 1st gear while being stopped.

Offline pandabat

• S Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
Re: Trouble shifting into certain gears
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 02:40:47 pm »
Just wanted to update this. Earlier this year, after all other avenues had been exhausted, Mazda eventually agreed to replace the gearbox under warranty (even though the warranty had expired 6+ months beforehand although this was a pre-existing problem). I elected to replace the clutch at the same time (and at my own expense) to also take any issues there out of the equation and because the labour would effectively be free as they were taking out the gearbox anyway. Upon getting the car back again, I still had some of the old issues. As it happened, my wing mirrors fold function began to fail at this point (a common issue apparently) and Mazda offered to replace both free of charge as a goodwill gesture. I dropped the car back in to have the wing mirrors replaced and, when I got it back after that, the gearbox/gear-change issues were gone. Dealer didn't acknowledge that anything extra had been done in that department but, all of a sudden, everything worked again smoothly and all of the issues that I'd had vanished. I still have a very, very rare issue with 1st at lights where stop/start has come on (fix is to reclutch) and sometimes I need to be a little firmer than you might expect pushing stick into 6th but it's a complete sea-change compared to where it was before. It took a long time and a lot of hassling the dealer to get to this point but, in fairness to Mazda and the dealer, they did come through for me in the end and I am now enjoying my Mazda 6 as much as I'd initially hoped to.