Author Topic: Is It Really So Hard To Sell A Car?  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Joel

• S Class
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica (41W)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
Is It Really So Hard To Sell A Car?
« on: September 16, 2017, 03:11:19 pm »
Good afternoon,

I have recently had my Mazda 6 valued on AutoTrader for around £8,200. Today, I travelled down to my local WeBuyAnyCar because they quoted me £7,500. It was taken all the way down to £5,800. Apparently, the front bumper has a small crack right underneath the O/S fog light. Replacement is £900. A couple of dents from car doors, he put down as £250 for three of them. FDSH and servicing didn't seem to make a difference. Obviously I couldn't justify the price because I could get the scratches and dents all redone for about £250 max. I have also rang a few dealers around who are selling the car I want, specifically, a facelifted 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT in the lower tax bracket. No dealers were interested in a car which was "too new for us" or wouldn't give cash on top since the Foresters are about half as much as my Mazda 6. What's wrong with taking a more expensive car and giving cash on top? Don't dealers like having 3 year old cars on their lots? There was even a guy in Swansea. I would have offered a straight swap but it was too new apparently.
Then there's Mazda themselves. None within my vicinity are interested because apparently, the mileage is too high at 86,000 miles. So what are my options for getting the best price? I can't sell privately… I leave my house for work at 04:30 and then return home at 20:00 Monday to Friday as a coach commuter driver. I often work Saturday or Sunday for rail replacement as well, and sometimes it can be both days. So where can I find the time to show people the car if I'm never home at a convenient time? I don't want to waste holiday days just to be home, only to find no one wants to look at the car for a week. I'm not up to scratch on how auctions work, but I'm sure I'll lose out on a lot with fees and all sorts. Maybe sell back to the dealer I bought it from if they'll take it? Maybe someone on here is interested? Or are there any other options available?

Sorry about the rant, I've been over this kerfuffle non-stop for the past week!

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Is It Really So Hard To Sell A Car?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 07:42:04 am »
Top dealers don't want high milers, they want to sell low milers which won't give them any grief.  They'll offer you trade price against a more expensive car, then send yours to auction (or trade it cheap to one of their pals partnered traders).
Mid level car dealers don't want to tie up their money.  They want to have two or three nice older cars sitting on the forecourt for the same outlay.  They also knows what sells on their particular forecourt, and if yours isn't one of them, then they don't want it.
WBaC want to buy the car under trade price then sell it on at trade price.  Their price is around what you'd end up getting at auction, after you'd paid the selling fees.
Your best way of getting a decent amount of money is to sell it privately, but it'll take up some of your time.  Your price should be at least a grand cheaper than mid level dealers are listing them (including the high miles).  You'll be able to arrange a mutually convenient time with the buyer.  As a coach driver (assuming you work to tachograph rules) you should have one rest day every week and two rest days every other week.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Is It Really So Hard To Sell A Car?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:42:10 am »
You can try the franchises. You can get a quote from their web sites.

Dealers who sell auction cars, sell 3 year old 6s for £7K with AA 3 month warranty. As a private seller, you could discount that £1K Tall says. Possibly they also buy them for that money from the auction and they add that money to cover their expenses and make a nice profit.

If you bought it new, it sounds like you are going to lose more than two thirds of the original price. Maybe with that in mind you could sacrifice a few hundred more and sell it quickly.