Author Topic: Removal of Bose Stereo form Mazda 6  (Read 16214 times)

Offline geoffbart

• S Class
  • Colour: Graphite Mica (38R) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
Removal of Bose Stereo form Mazda 6
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:17:00 am »
Wondering if anyone has had experience removing the Bose in-dash 6 stacker CD player from a late model Mazda 6 (2008 onwards)?  Have found some photos (see link below) but wondering if there is anything else I really should know about this task.  Have found that removing any dashboard trim is always tricky if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing.  Happy to hear of any tips.

http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=165

Offline mr frosty

• TS Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
Re: Removal of Bose Stereo form Mazda 6
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:29:52 am »
Not much use to you now, but there used to be a very detailed guide on the old forum with pics at every stage. Think it was done by a gut called Andy Thilo, if he's a member on this new forum drop him a PM. Maybe he can help?

Offline geoffbart

• S Class
  • Colour: Graphite Mica (38R) Metallic
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:35:44 pm »
Thanks Mr Frosty for your reply.   Actually think I may have found the link to the guide/photos you are referring to on a US Mazda 6 Forum saying that they were the "bees knees", very comprehensive.....(but unfortunately the link was dead).  You have now explained why.

I actually don't have to remove the stereo, or at least I'm hoping I don't have to.  It isn't broken or anything.  Have purchased an aftermarket handsfree bluetooth and Ipod / USB interface (Grom Audio model 3Ui-MAZ manufactured in the US).  The grom unit sounds like it is a very good arrangement, using the steering wheel controls to answer the phone, control volume and select tracks on other music sources like pre-recorded usb files and/or an attached ipod interface so was keen to give the thing a try.

My car has the Bose 8 speaker arrangement with a 6-stacker in dash unit and an aux amp mounted on the floor under the passenger seat.  The Grom unit either clips into the vacant CD changer port on the headunit or, if it already has a plug in it (which mine has looking from behind the glovebox compartment which I expect feeds the aux amp) you use their male and female coupling cable.  You remove the existing plug and insert the intermediate cable in the changer socket in the back of the headunit and then plug the existing factory plug into the supplied coupling to re-complete the original circuits.

Could probably do the CD changer port plug from under the dash, however with the intermediate cable arrangement (if you have a plug in the CD changer socket already) you also need to do a wire tap into the power harness to the headunit.   This other socket and plug is located on the driver's side of the headunit and there is no way on this living earth I could get my hand up there to pull the plug, let alone do a wire tap with the supplied connectors.

I am hoping that I may even be able to get to the back of the unit with just pulling the air-con grills/display panel out that is located above the headunit facia.  This the first picture shown in the link on my original email but it is hard to see what access it gives tot he back of the headunit.

Sounds like the other technical guide may turn out to be a big help if I can track it down.  I'm a newbie to this forum......how do I email Andy if I don't know his username?  Thanks in advance and happy to hear any ideas on the above or wondering if anyone else has already installed a similar Grom Audio unit on their car?

Offline mr frosty

• TS Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:25:40 am »
PM for you Geoffbart  :)

Offline mouldt

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:12:04 pm »
@geoffbart,
did you ever get this fitted?
if so would you care to share your experience?
does the Grom unit integrate well with the existing head unit i.e. so you can control other devices e.g ipod, usb etc from the steering controls / dashboard controls?

Thanks in advance