Author Topic: 2016 M6 Sportnav - alloy wheels peeling  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Arnolds1107

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2016
2016 M6 Sportnav - alloy wheels peeling
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:50:20 pm »
I see many posts regarding peeling alloy wheels on 2015 M6. Have members also experienced similar problems with the 2016 model?

I have recently noticed peeling on three of my 19” dark metal alloys but have yet to discuss this with the dealer. Although the wheels have been kerbed the peeling is occurring in different places.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Year: 2015
Re: 2016 M6 Sportnav - alloy wheels peeling
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:54:14 pm »
Just take them back dealer will probably replace under warranty as it’s known problem I’m keeping an eye on my 2017 model in case that starts .
Cheers Steve

Offline gazza1960

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 02:00:13 pm »
My 2015 M6 Sportnav had the same dark alloy peeling/blistering issue about 18 months after purchase. I went back to the dealer and there was no quibble whatsoever. It is a well known issue internally, something to do with the incompatibility of the Lacquer and the road salt we use over our winter months. I had all four wheels replaced, although I still believe the replacement wheels are not quite as dark as my originals were. The dealer explained this (and showed me) that the internal document which describes the known issue with the blistering also describes a darkening of the original wheels over time due to dark spots under the lacquer (like the old newspaper picture dots) which creates an illusion of a darker wheel when compared side-by-side with the replacements. I have had the replacements for a year now and no issues so far (fingers crossed), even through our beast from the east weather this winter. One thing to note though was that the Dealer said to me that if my wheels had been scuffed/kerbed they would have void the warranty, fortunately for me I am a careful when parking and mine were pristine, so they had no way out on that one.

Offline Rusty Bike

• S Class
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 09:55:10 pm »
I was very disappointed in the quality of the wheels on my 2013 Tourer. The wheels on my 02 Golf have no blistering. I got the set replaced under warranty but the new ones have gone the same as the old ones.