Author Topic: Gear Change Crunch / Synchromesh Not Smooth - Only 300 miles- 2.2D Tourer  (Read 6119 times)

Offline richh

• S Class
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
Brand new Tourer 2.2D Sport Nav with only 320 miles on clock - After taking into local dealer to check and resolve problem of crunchiness on changing gear (synchromesh not smooth unless I change very slowly) they found that the gearbox oil was 0.5 litre low (apparently this is not checked on pre-delivery so from factory). They claimed that they had road tested and all OK but the problem is still there.
I will be going back obviously, but would appreciate any information on what this problem might be and whether this the driving for 300 odd miles with low oil is something that really needs to be fixed with a gearbox change... after all the car is brand new.
The other curious thing is that the dealer did a visual check on the vehicle and have noted tyre wear of 31% on front and 16% on back!! (Bridgestone Turanza).

Thanks for any insights -

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
The gearbox problem could be caused by a faulty clutch. Fortunately the car is under warranty so it should be rectified by the dealer. You just need to be persistent and don't stand for any bull...t.

The tyre wear doesn't sound right to me. I know you say the car is brand new, but it can't be with that amount of tyre wear. Was the car ever a demonstrator?  Are you the first registered owner or was it a  pre-registered car? This would make you the second registered owner and could explain the tyre wear. I have heard of unscrupulous dealers disconnecting the speedo whilst using the car for demonstration purposes.

Ultimately, I think I would try to reject the car if it is not rectified or you are unhappy about it's history. Not easy to do, but if you are unhappy with the car it's perhaps the only remedy.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Year: 2004

Admin Query : If your car is brand new i.e. 2014 , could you please update the vehicle details in your profile   Thanks :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline richh

• S Class
Thanks for the reply -
Car was pre-registered by dealer two weeks before I bought it (with 9 miles on the clock).

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
If only 9 miles on the clock when registered  and the tyres part worn to that degree, who caused the wear?

If you paid brand new money, or sold to you as new, you want new not one with a funny history.

The car I have had 22 miles on the clock when bought ,but tyres were  new.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2010
As a pre-registered car, I hope you got it for a good discounted price.

Offline richh

• S Class
Thanks for the replies and info;

Have now done my own check of tread depth and it is on average 7mm, which if new depth is 8mm, is wear of around 12%. Dealer who checked seem to have over-estimated wear, especially on the front tyres.  Dealer's measurement of 6mm depth and calculation of 30% wear for that would indicate new tread depth of 8.7mm..

If anyone can confirm new Turanza 225/45 R19 tread depth that would be appreciated.

(I did indeed get a very good discounted price - Mazda dealers had incentives to move stock before end of November).

Car goes back to dealer next week to have second go at fixing the gear change problem, including test drive to show the problem before they touch it. I will report back.