Author Topic: Just bought a 2008 Mazda 6 2.0 TS  (Read 5591 times)

Offline nayfeee

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Just bought a 2008 Mazda 6 2.0 TS
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:56:49 pm »
Hello everyone. Hope you're all well.

Last week I purchased an 08 Mazda 6 2.0 TS. Absolutely lovely car and a massive improvement on my last heap. Very comfortable to drive, love the way it looks, it all feels very well built inside and out and the trim is all very good quality. Overall very happy so far with the choice.

I do unfortunately have one thing I'd like to ask about, and that's the low MPG I seem to be getting. Granted, I've only done one tank of fuel so far, but I have only managed to average 27-28 mpg.

I've been driving it a mixture of motorway miles and local miles, with a couple of mornings where the traffic has been heavy. I've tried my best to drive it "properly" to get a true MPG figure, changing up when required and not laboring the engine etc. basically been trying to drive it economically. When I bought the car, it has 60.1k on the clock and the trip computer was giving an average MPG of 38 MPG.

Am I just to assume that the previous owner did a lot more motorway miles than I have done over the last week, and is 27 MPG about right for roughly 70% "local" driving I have done?

In honesty, the higher running costs are a trade I'm ok with considering how much I like the car. But if I can save some quids I would like to. Is there anything I could be doing to return lower MPG in my driving style that I can change? Anything I can do easily with the car to increase MPG? (I have noticed that the tracking appears to be off as the steering wheel isn't straight and the car has a slight pull to the left, could this be a contributing factor?)

Thanks everyone.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Re: Just bought a 2008 Mazda 6 2.0 TS
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:15:20 pm »
Fuel consumption on my 2.0 ltr is running around town/short runs 33.0 mpg.
Mix of smallish town / A Road running in Summer around 38/39 mpg.
Motorways 70 mph running car shows 41/43 mpg.
The car is a 2010 build so maybe the engine set up is a little better than earlier cars.
Fuel is cheap as I can ,Supermarket .

Have you had a look at the Real MPG for the car on Honest John site of Daily Telegraph?

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:20 pm »
Ive got a 58 plate 2 litre TS. I tend to get around 28 to 30 mpg on short runs, but when I go on a long journey of around 150 miles, I sometimes get around 50 mpg. However, that is driving a speeds of 50 to 60 mph and I do tend to use the cruise control a lot on these long journeys which does help.
The most accurate way of finding your true mpg is to fill the tank up, take a mileage reading, and then fill up after a fair mileage and take another reading. Subtract the first reading and divide by the number of gallons used. But then , I expect you probably know that  method.
Overall, Im very satisfied with the mpg I get. Bearing in mind, at this time of year, taking the car on a short run hardly gives the engine time to warm up, thereby using more petrol.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:51 am »
Hiyah, I manage around 35 mpg around town in my 2:0 petrol. No rushing about though! Enjoy your new car. Make sure the drivers seat is attached to the car properly, touch in any stone chips and then enjoy bullet proof reliability.