Author Topic: 2014 2.2 Diesel - Turbo problem? Lots of warning lights  (Read 6542 times)

Offline PaulB

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
2014 2.2 Diesel - Turbo problem? Lots of warning lights
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:14:34 am »
I have a 2014 Mazda 6 2.2 Sport Diesel with 150BHP engine. No problems to 55,000 miles, although the fuel consumption seemed to be getting worse.

Then on a long run the the red warning triangle came on,indicated, an SCBS inspection required. A few miles later the cruise control turned itself off, heater stopped blowing hot air, Gear indicator light turned off, and further warnings showed for DPF and engine. The car ran ok, but lower power.

I took it to the local Mazda garage. They diagnosed a turbo problem and replaced the 'small' turbo (it comes in 2 parts?) and removed carbon deposits. They said this was a common problem and the fix was sound.

Driving home from the garage, the car was jerky. Before I had done 5 miles the SCBS  warmong light came on again, and after 20 miles the crusie contol turned off and the array of warnings lights came back on. The jerkyness stopped at this point which I take to mean the turbo had given up. I'm intending to return it to the same garage.

Has anybody else experienced these symtoms? Any advice?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2014 2.2 Diesel - Turbo problem? Lots of warning lights
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:37:56 am »
If you read old posts, you will find out that as the dealer says, it is a very common problem.

As long as the dealer fixes it for free, you are happy.

But if you had to pay for these repairs, they will cost a fortune.

Email them that the problem has not fixed and you are going to return the car.

Offline PaulB

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Year: 2011
Re: 2014 2.2 Diesel - Turbo problem? Lots of warning lights
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 07:33:34 am »
On return to the Mazda garage they then diagnosed an intercooler leak - possibly a consequence of the turbo issue. The intercooler has now been replaced and I am very relieved to say that the car is now back to normal. The cost for this was entirely picked up by Mazda, which I take as an acknowledgement by Mazda that there is a fault with this engine. If I had had to pay, the cost would have been in excess of £3K. The Mazda garage tell me that having a full service history with an approved Mazda dealership helps when claiming costs to Mazda. In my case the Mazda dealership provided excellent service.

So 2 lessons learned:
1. If you have a Mazda diesel get it serviced at an approved Mazda dealer. Yes this will cost more, but when the inevitable, catastrophic fault occurs with your engine, you have a much better chance of Mazda funding the repair.
2. Don't buy a Mazda diesel.