Author Topic: Main beam too low  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Thiss

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Main beam too low
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:41:33 am »
Hi.

New to the forum so forgive me if this has been asked before...

My son just bought a 2010 TS2 estate.

The main beam seems to point very low down on the road. How is it adjusted ?

Headlights go up and down electrically ok but main beam seems fixed

TKS

Offline Cee-Jay-Cee

• TS Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2010
Re: Main beam too low
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:51:08 pm »
There is a little adjustment wheel on the top of the headlight housing. It looks like a little star nut. You use a Philips/star head screwdriver to adjust it up/down. If you google adjusting headlights you should find a video to show you, most cars have the same adjustment type wheel so a video of any car will do.

Alternatively you could bring the car to any tyre place and ask them to do it, most tyre shops have a  beam checker.

Offline FinnDossing

• S Class
  • Colour: True Red (A4A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:25:02 pm »
However, the general point about lights being “ weak” is still valid. I took mine to an auto electrics workshop who ran diagnostics and their standard checks and couldn’t find anything wrong, but the quality of illumination does seem poor. Any ideas out there?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:09:07 pm »
If it is correctly adjusted with the right bulbs, it should be fine.

The adjuster on the right side of the steering wheel should be on zero when you adjust the lights and then add levels as you load the car.

If that was on full loaded level, then the shop adjusted the lights and you put it back on zero, it will not light properly.

There is just a very big difference between the low and the high beam performance.

If your headlights have been totally sunburnt, you may need to try to clean/restore these as well.

Lastly, autumn is a very tricky period to judge the lights as poor because of the way the sun sets. It is getting dark without being dark and the lights do not seem to do anything. But when it gets properly dark, they are just fine.

In any case, the low beam is just for driving around in traffic and so you either follow a car or there is oncoming car. Once it is dark and empty, you always use the high beam.