Author Topic: Timing Chain repair  (Read 33717 times)

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Timing Chain repair
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:05:17 pm »
Gents,

I thought I would share my little adventure with you guys. I am not sure if this belongs in the engine or dealership section so I will let Willpower decide!

We are just about to pick up our Mazda 6 which has been in the dealership for the last three weeks.

To start from the beginning, the dreaded DPF light started to flash on the vehicle in early March. I contacted the dealership and they informed me that the car "just needs a service". They said that the DPF light is also used as a service indicator (I mentioned this on an earlier thread). The dealership said it is okay to keep driving even though it was less 10k since the last service. I thought this was odd but booked the car in for a service at the end of March.

After they carried out the service they informed me that the DPF light was still flashing and they have run a diagnostics check and they couldn't locate the fault. I told them that my partner needed the car to go to Cornwall for a couple of weeks. They said no problem, I can book it in when my partner returns.

Upon doing this I received the dreaded news - the Timing Chain had stretched and it will cost £1400 to fix. My 6 is a 2010 plate with 62k on the clock. I have only owned the vehicle for 8 months and paid for a Warranty which covers mechanical & electrical faults. Anyway, the warranty company declined the claim as it wasn't a "sudden mechanical failure" (I seem to recall a fellow member being concerned about the Timing Chain & Warranty, I think it was MDon1984??)

I went mad at the dealer and they said that they will apply to Mazda UK for a goodwill gesture. They returned with 60% towards the bill. The dealership then offered a further 15% goodwill gesture. I was left to pay the remaining 25%.

After reluctantly agreeing to this, the car then spent another week at the dealership as the ECU needed reprogramming and the DPF light was still flashing. After this was all fixed I asked for the bill and they responded with £500+ which included an "investigation charge". I couldn't believe it! I politely asked them to have a rethink considering what we have been through and they returned with £297.

I am glad this whole saga is finally over but it has left a sour taste in my mouth. I know that £297 is probably a reasonable outcome but I can't help but be annoyed considering the dealership let my partner drive to Cornwall with my two kids in the back with a stretched Timing Chain. As you all know, this is a common fault with these models. I would of expected them to know what the problem was a lot sooner than they did.

This reinforces my opinion (and other members) that Mazda's are cracking cars when they are running well but the expensive repair bills and poor customer service quickly erodes the driving & equipment qualities.

Farnsy

Offline 678hug

• Sport Class
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Timing Chain repair
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:52 pm »
Thanks for the info and i couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

This reinforces my opinion (and other members) that Mazda's are cracking cars when they are running well but the expensive repair bills and poor customer service quickly erodes the driving & equipment qualities.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:37 pm »
Although this sad tale concerns a mechanical fault, (timing chain) to my mind it is better suited to showing the poor performance of the dealership in question. This will be of benefit to others who unfortunately find themselves in the same predicament. And will, I am sure, if used as an example, help other members to mitigate the high costs involved.

However I would suggest that a very brief post in the Engine sub forum with a link to this post would be beneficial.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:27:59 pm »
Oh dear, another sad tale about diesel. They may be cheaper to run fuel wise, but when it comes to servicing and repairs, any benefit is written off several times over in my opinion. Give me a petrol engine any time with no DPF issues. I have a 2.0L auto and regularly get 40mpg on a run.
I recon that if you do an average of 12,000 miles a year, the additional fuel cost over diesel is about £120. In fact my annual mileage is only 7000 miles so my additional fuel cost is £70. It's a no brainer for me.

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »
Agree with Bazzamf on this one. Just out of nosey curiosity - how many miles has the car done Farnsey?

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 02:20:06 pm »
The car has done 62k mate. Not a lot of miles for a 2.2 diesel.

I did have a long hard think over the 2.5 petrol model before I decided on the 2.2 diesel. The fuel economy, cheap road tax and performance swung it towards the 2.2 diesel. Lets hope I don't regret it even further?

This might interest you though - when I looked at the invoice yesterday the bill for the parts was less than £150. The actual Timing Chain was £40! So if this is deducted from a £1,400 bill, the Oil, labour and VAT amounts to over £1,200  >:(

This seems a bit extortionate to me. If I was to ask Mark @ Freelance to do the same job I am pretty sure he could do it for < £600. In fact I will ask him and I will let you know what he comes back with.

Farnsy

Offline DavidN

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:18:20 am »
You're right. Your car is hardly run in for a diesel. I would consider one of the new 3rd generation Mazda's for my next car - but the dealer prices do put me off. My previous car ( X type) was cheaper to service and repair at a flagship Jag dealer. In "days of yore" when the company was paying it clearly wasn't an issue - but now it comes out of my own pocket it's quite a consideration.

Offline Mdon1983

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:48:57 pm »
Hi,

Yeah mine currently has a stretched chain however it isn't so bad that it needs replaced yet (no dpf light flashing). My warranty direct warranty have said they won't contribute towards a replacement because it's not a "sudden failure" and that if it went now and took the engine with it they'd only cover the chain not the engine. Basically they are useless! My dealership has quoted £1202 and said they will ask mazda for a contribution when the time comes.

To be honest, although the car is nice enough it does show that they aren't reliable cars, mines already had rust on it where I've had to have the roof resprayed. I think my next car will be another make. My dealer has been honest and offered great service so far.

Offline andywolfie

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:07:06 pm »
Hi All,

I think the problems seem to be with the diesel Mazda's, I am on my third petrol one and all have been great and the petrol's are generally regarded as bomb proof, I can't believe Mazda won't cover the chain out of goodwill yet did a recall on them and would do them under warranty, they know its a fault and should deal with it, after all the chain was supposed to be change free! all of the car magazines describe Mazda as having a wonderful reputation for reliability, maybe they have only had petrol's!

Andy

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:48:53 am »
Hi,

Yeah mine currently has a stretched chain however it isn't so bad that it needs replaced yet (no dpf light flashing). My warranty direct warranty have said they won't contribute towards a replacement because it's not a "sudden failure" and that if it went now and took the engine with it they'd only cover the chain not the engine. Basically they are useless! My dealership has quoted £1202 and said they will ask mazda for a contribution when the time comes.

To be honest, although the car is nice enough it does show that they aren't reliable cars, mines already had rust on it where I've had to have the roof resprayed. I think my next car will be another make. My dealer has been honest and offered great service so far.

Be careful with that course of action mate. I have been told by a fellow forum member that Mazda calculate goodwill payments using a matrix system which takes into account age & mileage. The longer you leave it the less likely you will get a decent contribution.

I would get it sorted as soon as you can.

Farnsy

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 11:11:20 am »
The question with modern Diesels are they becoming to complicated?
A Diesel engine was always a reliable high mileage runner at low cost. You ran them
till the body fell off the vehicle.
The more Bussels goes for low emissions and anything else the have a fancy for this week. The
more problems new type of diesels seem to have.Or is it only certain makes that suffer.?
Are manufacturers testing new designs enough. ? The Mazda chain stretching at low mileages
is a question in point. The buyer is paying for someone's mistakes .
Just a thought,

Offline ColinB

• Takara Class
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 06:39:48 pm »
Belts still need replacing - 3 years or 75k I think.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 03:09:19 pm »
Last VW I had belt was at first 8 year or 80k, reduced by makers to 4 years or 40k.
(said to be due to too many high milers engine failures, according to local VW dealer.)
That was the good reason to buy a chain cam engine. Chain should last the life of the engine.
Until the current batch of vehicles, chain cam car of years ago you never,or I never, heard of
a chain needing to be changed.!