Author Topic: mass airflow sensor issue  (Read 3557 times)

Offline shek

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2016
mass airflow sensor issue
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:59:40 pm »
I have a 2016 mazda 6, diesel, skyactive. Manual.

I constantly have issue with airflow sensor which lights up on the dashboard. Sensor has been changed only recently and light reappears only after 10 miles after service.
Any help please.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2009
Re: mass airflow sensor issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 08:22:24 am »
Is there any case that the new sensor is also faulty? It is not uncommon to buy new parts which are not fit for purpose. I was trapped like that with a garage doing a brakes service. He did not want to admit that the parts he fitted were not good enough. I paid another garage to put the car right but I lost out the money I paid the first garage as he was insisting that the parts were right even after the repair from the second garage.

Also, did you do some kind of reset when you fitted the new sensor? Online search suggests that you need to reset the values already learned and needs to go back to the OEM setting. The suggestion is to remove the battery and leave it disconnected for 10 minutes. The service manual suggests that after disconnecting the battery for 1 minute, it is enough to work on sensitive parts like airbags. So maybe the generic 10 minutes is good enough.

If you have done the diagnosis and repair at a garage, you should try to reason with them but I know how bad that can turn out. If you cannot reason with them and cannot work on the car, try another garage for a second opinion. If you have done all the work alone, try disconnecting the battery for a start.

Offline shek

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:17:09 pm »
Thank you for your kind reply. I will try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins as you suggested.

Offline shek

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:55:04 pm »
I tried what was suggested but did not solve the problem. Any other suggestion most welcome.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 07:01:54 am »
Are you sure that the problem is this sensor? Is there a specific warning for the sensor or is it just a generic check engine warning?

These cars have gone through various recalls. Have you done any of them?

They had problems with the injectors and the software.

The problem with the injectors was that they injecting too much fuel.

Now check this:

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-faulty-mass-airflow-sensor

Symptoms of a Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor

A faulty mass airflow sensor will cause problems similar to low compression or low vacuum, and will also show symptoms similar to when your vehicle has low fuel pressure from a faulty fuel pump. Here are some of the most common symptoms of a faulty mass airflow sensor:

The engine is very hard to start or turn over
    The engine stalls shortly after starting
    The engine hesitates or drags while under load or idle
    Hesitation and jerking during acceleration
    The engine hiccups
    Excessively rich or lean idling

a faulty mass flow sensor has a specific code that will generate during computer diagnostics, and is usually easy to determine with computer testing equipment.

So if you scanned the car and it said yes it is this sensor, try one more sensor. But the fueling problem can be caused by the injectors and the software.

Did you have any of the symptoms linked to this sensor?