Author Topic: Finding MAC address?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline jcd

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Finding MAC address?
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:59:54 am »
Hi there,

Is there a way to determine the MAC address of my Mazda 6 (without first connecting to a network)? I tried various menus, searched the forum, etc. and googl'ing but with no success.
The car is running OS 56.00.100 EU N and my router is an ASUS RT-AC56U (I also tried to get the MAC from the logs on the router but cannot connect to the Wifi - due to MAC filtering).

Many thanks

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: Finding MAC address?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
Hi i'm just wondering is that the same as trying to use LIVE SERVICES from the Mazda to an I PHONE hot spot Coz that don't work either on my 2017 sport nav 6 there is supposed to be a multi fix coming in MAY. Mazdas don't seem to like apple WI FI bluetooth works great but not the wi fi
JUST A THOUGHT
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline jcd

• S Class
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica (42A)
  • Transmission: Manual
Re: Finding MAC address?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:08:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply and suggestion Steve, much appreciated... But, no I don't think this is related (but could be wrong). From Wikipedia: "a media access control address (MAC address) of a computer is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications". So our Mazda 6 have one for the Wifi, and one for the Bluetooth. Knowing your MAC address allows you to define a list of "authorised" devices (computers/mobiles/cars) for access to your home network, portable 4G modems, mobile hotspot, etc.

Seems the simplest approach will be to turn off MAC address filtering, connect the car, read the MAC from the router, then add it to the whitelist, re-enable MAC filtering, etc. etc. A bit silly something as trivial is not available from the network settings interface.