Author Topic: Engine seizure  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Andy D

• S Class
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Engine seizure
« on: December 18, 2016, 06:39:29 pm »
Hi, I recently bought a 59 plate 6 TS2 2.2 diesel and immediately put it in for its 75000 service (although it was at 70k). As expected it was a costly major service £800, due to injector replacement. However three weeks later the engine has siezed and the dealer cannot explain why but state they found metal partials in the oil filter from internal damaged.
I have been informed that the damage leading to this could have been from leaking injectors (which were new) or a timing chain slippage (I assumed the chain would be re tensioned at a major service).
Can anyone advise on other issues that may have caused such a major fault?
If indeed the injectors leaked or china slipped would a claim against the dealer get any traction?
Regards
Andy

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Engine seizure
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:07:34 pm »
From what i have seen and read on this it could be because the pick up strainer in the sump is totaly clogged with sludge from the DPF regens so no oil been picked up and circulated. I would have thought on the 75000 mile service being such a major service they would have dropped the sump and inspected this and cleaned it out as needed. Now i don't know weather it is part of that service or you have to request it to be done but that could be a major cause as would be the stretch on the timing chain and i'm sure that should have been checked as well. Was this service carried out at a Mazda main dealer ? if so and you can't get answers i would contact Mazda customer relations dept and also do you have the full service record of the car if so and it's all up to date that could help your case. Hope this helps.
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline Andy D

• S Class
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:29:21 am »
Thanks for the info Steve, the service was with a main dealer and I'll mention this to them and see if it hits a nerve. If they offer no useful advise (at the moment they are asking for 5.5k for an engine strip down and rebuild) then I'll take up with the Mazda customer relations. Regards Andy

Offline PanPilot

• S Class
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:32:58 am »
It would be interesting to know the truth of this.
 My 2.2D, 64 plate, 30K miles, just had a bottom end seizure, I'm not sure what exactly. Always serviced by Mazda, fortunately, so it was covered under warranty. Phew!
To cut a long story short, the tech partially stripped the engine and found what appears to be evidence of a lack of lube, including the camshaft which runs directly in the aluminium head (no bearing shells), so it was a complete new engine - after I had "a bit of a discussion" with the dealer! There was no obvious reason for the lube failure - at least that's what they say...
The knackered engine is going back to Mazda UK next week, presumably for a post mortem. I would love to get my spanners on it to find out exactly what the problem was ! I doubt I will ever find out.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:07 pm »
HI again did you check the VIN No as to weather it falls in the group that had the camshaft hardening issue which would mean being a 64 plate it stood around some where for a long time before being registerd because most of that problem was sorted by March 14 plates but the dealers were still checking for a long time after that. Just an idea.
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline maztec

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 04:24:38 pm »
 :-[
It would be interesting to know the truth of this.
 My 2.2D, 64 plate, 30K miles, just had a bottom end seizure, I'm not sure what exactly. Always serviced by Mazda, fortunately, so it was covered under warranty. Phew!
To cut a long story short, the tech partially stripped the engine and found what appears to be evidence of a lack of lube, including the camshaft which runs directly in the aluminium head (no bearing shells), so it was a complete new engine - after I had "a bit of a discussion" with the dealer! There was no obvious reason for the lube failure - at least that's what they say...
The knackered engine is going back to Mazda UK next week, presumably for a post mortem. I would love to get my spanners on it to find out exactly what the problem was ! I doubt I will ever find out.

Hi PanPilot, you are not alone, your story almost exactly mimics mine, except my engine didn't quite manage 28K miles!
One of the big-end bearings was wiped, the white metal melted onto the crank pin and it just stopped. Fortunately in slow traffic. No warning or noises whatsoever, which is odd, and more than a bit worrying.
 Fortunately I had absolutely excellent, first class service from my Mazda dealer (Hodgsons Newcastle), there were no quibbles or arguments, they just replaced the engine; with a loaner while they did it - and all this despite the fact they weren't the supplying dealer. It cost Mazda UK several £thou, I am told.
 I know there was a bit of a problem with the previous generation diesels with oil dilution, but it was supposed to be sorted with the post 2012 SkyActiv models. I am beginning to wonder though. The (Mazda branded) oil on the dipstick always seems very thin although there is no obvious diesel smell. I think it might be prudent to change the oil more frequently than Mazda's specified intervals!