Author Topic: 2.2 SPORT ESTATE MPG AVERAGE POOR ?  (Read 28742 times)

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Re: 2.2 SPORT ESTATE MPG AVERAGE POOR ?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »
Yes Martin looks like it is a good one was a bit apprehensive with the mileage but the lease company had kept up with all the servicing and just found out today that the cam chain was replaced in january which is an added bonus , I had been looking for 3 months for a 6 estate but was struggling to find an 08 plate upwards in sport or SL with £6 k but was just about to give up on finding one when this went through the auction otherwise I was going to look at an avensis estate  :'(

Offline Flying KD

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 08:39:23 pm »
Hi Folks (2.2 180 Sport Estate)
On my third tank, only done about 1300miles, so far in mixed use actual calculated mpg has been consistent, 43--44.5 mpg, including a little "exercise" at well over 100mph. Trip computer reading just under 5% over; acceptable. This compares very well with the previous car a Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi 140, which returned a steady 43--44mpg from new to about 38000mls.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »
just done 160 mile motorway round trip to have the bonnet & bumper sprayed, cruising at 70 mph in 4th & 5th gear filled up b4 then after and returned 46.5 mpg  :)could have got it up to 50 mpg i recon if had kept it in 5th the whole distance, happy with that after getting 31 mpg around town .

Offline rafal

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:13 pm »
I did 33k in my 2.2D 185KM and the average MPG looks around those figures; Urban: 35-41, Combine: 45-52, motorways: 35-61 (the lower figures are when I push a bit harder, espec on motorways  ;D But as we all know, its all depends how much you push. Overall, for the amount of power you get and the size of the car the MPG is really OK.

Offline Freefaller

• S Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 04:33:18 pm »
With the 2.2 Diesel Sport hatchback (may be a few Kg lighter than an Estate) I've got an average since I had the car of 41.5 mpg. That's a mixture of commuting (B roads, A roads inc dual carriageway), bit of town stuff and longer trips. That's calculated from mileage and volume at each fill. Yes-  jbconno I'm also diligent enough to log every refuelling then Excel does the maths.

The trip computer is consistently optimistic. Recently I have been trying V Power diesel in pursuit of extra mpg. If you calculate it with the extra cost of the fuel, if the average goes up to around 43.5 then it's no extra cost, over that it's cheaper. Don't know the results yet.

One more point, the facelift Sport from 2010 onwards with 180ps had a smaller Turbo to reduce consumption to drop it into a lower tax bracket. One would expect these to do a bit better compared to the 185ps Sport so look at the age of the car when comparing mpg figures.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 09:15:24 pm »
With the 2.2 Diesel Sport hatchback (may be a few Kg lighter than an Estate) I've got an average since I had the car of 41.5 mpg. That's a mixture of commuting (B roads, A roads inc dual carriageway), bit of town stuff and longer trips. That's calculated from mileage and volume at each fill. Yes-  jbconno I'm also diligent enough to log every refuelling then Excel does the maths.

The trip computer is consistently optimistic. Recently I have been trying V Power diesel in pursuit of extra mpg. If you calculate it with the extra cost of the fuel, if the average goes up to around 43.5 then it's no extra cost, over that it's cheaper. Don't know the results yet.

One more point, the facelift Sport from 2010 onwards with 180ps had a smaller Turbo to reduce consumption to drop it into a lower tax bracket. One would expect these to do a bit better compared to the 185ps Sport so look at the age of the car when comparing mpg figures.
would be interested to know the results with the v power when you get them freefaller cheers

Offline Freefaller

• S Class
  • Colour: Aluminium Silver (38P) Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »
Well, I've done the calculations of average MPG at each fill and running 3 point averages since May using Shell V Power. Looking at the figures and the graph, I cannot see the required improvement of 2-3 MPG required to make V Power recover the extra cost at the pump. I couldn't feel any difference in the way the car drove either.

Therefore I'm switching back to standard Shell Diesel - Fuelsaver I think they call it.

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 07:52:11 pm »
I suspected you wouldn't see much if any difference. I have always run normal Shell and my average over 68K is 43mpg.

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 09:36:39 am »
If you do such a low mileage and most of it is round town, I wonder if you have bought the right car ?

A big diesel with DPF is not at all suited to this sort of use - it will use extra fuel to inject into the system to clean the DPF.

At sustained higher revs on long journeys, the system gets hot enough to stay clean.

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:44 am »
I have done almost 70000 miles in just under 3 years. 99% of which is motorway, perfect conditions for an engine like this.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 10:02:36 pm »
If you do such a low mileage and most of it is round town, I wonder if you have bought the right car ?

A big diesel with DPF is not at all suited to this sort of use - it will use extra fuel to inject into the system to clean the DPF.

At sustained higher revs on long journeys, the system gets hot enough to stay clean.
Unfortunatley I didn't know about the dpf b4 I bought it ! I just wanted an estate with a 2L engine , this one came along so bought it , if I'd known about it b4 I would have looked for something else

Offline NickD

• S Class
  • Colour: Copper Red Mica (32V) Metallic
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 09:56:05 pm »
I am doing mostly motorway driving but often at peak time and slow moving plus a little on country lanes.  Average is just under 52 mpg according to the on board computer which I am very pleased with.

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:17 pm »
52 !!!  Have you checked it by brimming the tank each fill up and recording miles driven and quantity of fuel purchased ?

The on-board display is not necessarily accurate.

Offline Pgregs1

• Sport Class
    • Mazda6 forums uk
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 07:08:54 pm »
52 !!!  Have you checked it by brimming the tank each fill up and recording miles driven and quantity of fuel purchased ?

The on-board display is not necessarily accurate.
Agreed the on board are usually between 5 & 10% too much only way to find a true figure as said above is to fill up to brim do your miles then fill up again & work out from there

Offline Desmond Beattie

• S Class
  • Trim: Venture
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 01:31:02 pm »
My trip computer reads 51.2mpg but tank to tank refill calculation gives 44mpg. Mostly open road and motorway driving.  :-[