Author Topic: Timing chain replacement  (Read 5487 times)

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2008
Timing chain replacement
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:44 pm »
I have to replace the timing chain on my 2008 2 litre Mazda 6 TS.  Any idea what this will cost if I get a Mazda dealer to do the work, or alternatively, what would an independent charge.
Thanks. :'(

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Timing chain replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:48:05 am »
There were some old posts for about £600 or so? But you have better call a few dealers to get an offer for parts and labour and then compare with the independent garages. They do replace part of the injection system as well, so if you get a lower offer, check the small print of what they are going to do. I think full big service with timing chain replacement at the dealer with the injection work done, were reported for around £1K plus minus £100. You will need to chain the sump as well and so the cost is all about the work you will decide to do. The more inspections you do now, the less troubles you will have in the future.

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:12:55 pm »
Thanks for the info Apav. If I'm looking at a possible bill of £1k, maybe its time to change the car rather than the timing chain. I've had the car for more years than I care to remember and it has to be the best car I've ever had, so, I have a difficult decision to make. Keep it and run it into the ground or get another , newer one which may come with its own problems. Hey ho!!!! :-\

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:15:02 am »
As Mazda Petrol engine cars are generally good and people keep them, they tend to suffer from age defects.
Was said to me, as they get older you spend £300.00 on them this year £500.00 next ,when do you give
up and get a replacement.Agree it's hard to part with a reliable decent trouble free car.
Just in case the next one is a duffer.!!!

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 08:58:23 am »
If you have a car for many years, it is worthy doing the repairs because you know the state of the car. If you buy another car, you will be forced to do the first repair and when the next one arrives, you will do it again, etc.

You can do the maths, how much you have paid for the car and how much for repairs and then you will have a monthly cost for each of them. You should add the quote for the new repairs in the sum and check how it divides over the months you had the car.

If you had the car for 10 years, any big repairs will be very "cheap" over these years.

A nearly new 6 will cost more than £300 per month on finance and you will be trapped to it for many years. Another used car is not unlikely to need repairs sooner or later.

Now that I notice that you have the petrol car, get a quote for the chain from the dealer and the independent, and then decide. It sould not cost you as much as the diesel car because you will not need to pay for the injection part.

Offline beezageoff

• Sport Class
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 08:26:07 pm »
Well, I've really opened a can of worms here! I rang my local Mazda dealer today and this is what they said. They don't replace the timing chain. At 75,000 miles (for my type of car), they check the tension of the chain and adjust if necessary. However, if the DPS light comes on, then it is advisable to get it checked and possibly changed. They told me that they have never changed a timing chain on my model!! However, as a matter of interest, I asked how much a new chain would cost. They told me that the chain and guides would cost £230 plus the labour at £250 plus vat. So, the final bill would be around £570.
Thanks for your responses.