Author Topic: Just switched from 2006 Mk1 to a 2009 Mk2, Navi system questions  (Read 2943 times)

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Hi all,

My beloved Mk1 is beyond economical repair, but I turned a tragedy into a celebration by getting a 66k 2009 2.2D 180 Sport for £2800!

The car is just great but I am having some issues with the navigation screen system. I didn't get a manual for the Navi system with the car so some of these questions are basic user operation things (I couldn't find the right version PDF to download anywhere, if somebody has a link I'd be grateful), and some questions are about things that seem to be wrong with the system - are these known faults and are there ways to fix them?

So, if anybody on the forum has the time or inclination to help me with these, I'd be very happy.

Clocks

Bizarrely, the car has two clocks. The on-screen navi clock is losing time very rapidly, like thirty or more minutes a day. Is this normal? Can it be fixed? I don't fully understand the link to GPS option that I found: Using GMT Britain made it an hour out, but using GMT Casablanca made it correct. Any advice or experience with this very welcome.

The other clock is the same as on the Mk1: it's part of an orange bar that also shows MPG and so on. In the car manual, it suggested I could adjust it using the steering wheel rocker switch. However! My steering wheel doesn't have an ENTER button in the middle of the rocker, it's just a rocker switch. I did manage to find an option in the Navi system that adjusted the orange clock, and that seems to be fine now and it's not losing time. If these clocks can both be adjusted from the same place it blows my mind that they aren't slaved to each other! XD

Trip Computer

It's basically identical to the Mk1, but it's adjusted using the steering wheel rocker. As mentioned above, I don't have an ENTER button on my switch so I don't know how to reset the average MPG and average speed. Can this be done? Have I got a car with the wrong steering wheel for its features? I would really like to reset the averages, but if it turns out I can't does anybody know what period the average is over? Is it a certain mileage, a certain amount of time or is it since the car was new?

Radio

The radio doesn't tell me what station I'm tuned to. I find it improbable that a fancy colour screen system wouldn't have this feature, any idea how to turn it on?

Also, I don't know how to save radio station presets, can somebody help please?

Bluetooth Phone

I've imported my contacts but they're all duplicated and in a random order. Any tips here please?

I don't understand how to use the touch to speak button on the steering wheel. The car manual has some vague instructions and a badly written list of voice commands but I can't really made head or tail of it. If anyone can help me with useful ways of using this button and the voice commands that would be lovely.

Thanks for reading this far and even more thanks if you can help!  :)

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2019
Re: Just switched from 2006 Mk1 to a 2009 Mk2, Navi system questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 12:40:27 pm »
Hi Andy,
I used to have a Mark 2 Sport, albeit a 2010 model after Mazda had made a few cosmetic changes inside and out.
The radio in your picture in an aftermarket addition, not the standard one fitted by Mazda even though it is designed to fit in the same place. This would explain why the two clocks aren't slaved to each other and why you didn't get a manual for the Nav system with the car.
Regarding the trip computer, from memory I think there is a long thin black button above either the speedo or the rev. counter which adjusts the brightness of the instrument panel. When you are displaying the MPG you should be able to press and hold this in to reset. I also think there was a menu option on the factory fitted radio to reset averages, but this might just be on the mark 3.
About Bluetooth, I think you just press the speak and then say "call" followed by the contact name.
As I say, I think a lot of your issues our down to the fact that the radio fitted is not Mazda manufactured so doesn't necessarily perform in the standard way. If you could find the make and model then you may be able to download a manual. A quick look on Google brought up several options so maybe take a look and see which one you have.
hope you get things sorted

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 07:10:32 pm »
The steering wheel is normal. Press that right arrow to go all the way to the right and then the up and down arrow to move on the menu.

I am not sure how you can set up the orange clock as this radio is not the original. But keep in mind that this clock will also miss time, a minute every few months.

If you disconnect the battery or remove the instrument cluster fuse, all values will reset to zero. The fuse for the instrument cluster is inside the car, on the left side on the passenger side. The average values keep running for ever until you reset them.

Offline AndyCardiff

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 05:50:49 pm »
Thanks both, luckily I can set the orange clock through an option in the radio.

I'll try that to reset the MPG, thanks Saddler.

It's frustrating that it's an aftermarket system. It's certainly good enough quality but unfortunately there's no indication anywhere of the manufacturer or part number. Maybe my only option is to get in touch with the previous owner and see if he knows the make and model.