Author Topic: Car Mat fixing points  (Read 15566 times)

Offline Epic Earl

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Car Mat fixing points
« on: March 02, 2020, 02:02:33 pm »
Ive got a 2011 Mazda 6, the matts in the front just slide around as there isn't any anchor points for the carpets to attach to.
any suggestions of where I could get the anchor points from?

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Car Mat fixing points
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:54:44 am »
The mats should not slide but maybe it does not fit properly. You could some newer ones and see whether it will make any difference. They are just £5 or so for a set of 4 from the supermarkets, leaving the middle part of the rear carpet exposed.

I am not sure if these cars came with anchor points. My car does not have and when I bought it, it came with some universal car mats which were not new. Still they remain in place but I see your point as well because after giving the car to most garages, they return it with the mat folded in some weird combination.

So some people may move their feet more than me and move the mat on the way. Having said that, I am not sure if it is a very good idea to drill a Mazda and screw stuff to secure the mat. There is a case you can drill the carpet only and fabricate a securing mechanism but it does not seem that the carpet has any real gap with the bodywork and also the carpet itself feels very cheap. So if you cut it and add a securing mechanism, it may split and gets destroyed.

Maybe you could try some double side carpet tape. I think it should be strong enough to keep the carpet in place and in the worst case scenario, you can tape the whole mat as a desperate measure. Something like this:

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-rug-tape-5m-x-50mm/p/0437148

Similarly there are mounting tapes that can hold a heavy load. For example this one holds 20 kilos:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/velcro-brand-fix-pro-removable-mounting-tape-transparent-2m-x-25mm/349gr

So maybe adding something like that, will help.

I just readjust the mat from time to time if it slides a bit forward but it never gets anything like I get it back from the garages with the mat folded under the pedals. I feel that the Mazda pedals are high enough to allow even for the carpet to fold a bit underneath, especially when compared with other cars.