Author Topic: Collinite wax  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Collinite wax
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »
Fella's,

I was going to Order a pot of Autoglym HD wax but I keep hearing about Collinite wax and how good it is. Has anyone used this product and if so, is it worth the outlay?

I have just ordered the clay bar kit and I already have Autoglym SRP but I haven't decided on which wax to use to seal in the finish.

Farnsy

Offline DaVe

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2008
Re: Collinite wax
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:23 pm »
To be honest Farnsy its all in the prep, a wax is just wax but as long as you spend the time on the prep you will get the results your looking for I would say the wax is your last 20-25% of work to getting your paintwork looking good, a good autoglym product I did use was HD cleanser, I have used HD wax yes its good and I have used Dodo juice, Purple haze, Rainforest rub, blue velvet and orange crush and Mequires synthetic wax as well.

HD and Dodo are about the same for the length of time that last before they start to drop off a bit the Meguires lasted a month or so longer than the other two as it is synthetic . I am always up for trying new stuff to see how it preforms and spent loads on different waxes but a friend of mine said try armour all from boyes its a tenner a tub and it is brilliant stuff I thought yeah yeah gimmicky like the showroom shine stuff but he was right it is good stuff and the beading and sheeting is as good if not better than the waxes I have used at the moment it has lasted through winter, I wash my car nearly every week after your wax you also want to get a decent shampoo for it that will not strip all your hard work your about to put into the paintwork.

Dave

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:57:31 am »
Dave,

I have bought Zymol car shampoo from Halfords @ £6.99. I thought this was reasonably priced. I have also just bought the Meguiars clay bar kit.

I was going to spend a day on the car when it gets warmer. The only concern I have got is that I am not a professional detailer and I might spend hrs polishing & waxing and the end result might be not what I had hoped.

As you say, the preperation work will be key so I will take my time when claying the car.

Your photo's look very impressive. Did you use a machine polisher for that finish?

Farnsy

Offline DaVe

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:07:47 pm »
Hi Farnsy , yes I used a rotary then a DA polisher on it, I was a bit concerned when I did it also this was when I started out (3rd car) and it was black which shows up anything wrong,  I also have the clay kit you have but from boyes there a bit cheaper than halfords but limited to what they have in, its amazing how much a clay bar removes.

You will know when its clayed if you get a thin fruit bag like what the have in supermarkets and put your hand inside and run it along the paintwork if its ok it will feel smooth,

Also if you have no polisher you could get a polish that has fillers in it to help hide the very light scratches which would take ages to remove by hand, poor boys white diamond is good and reasonably priced as well.

Dave

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:44 am »
Cut the clay bar into several small pieces. If you drop one ... bin it !!!!! Don't ever try and reuse it  :P

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:17:16 am »
That sounds like good advice!

The Meguiars kit supplies 2 off clay bars but I will cut them into sections - just in case.

Farnsy