Author Topic: swimming pool in my boot.  (Read 24947 times)

Offline mask34

• S Class
  • Colour: Titanium Grey II (29Y) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2005
swimming pool in my boot.
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:35:32 pm »
Hi there

I have had my 6 (05 plate 2lt petrol TS) for just over one year and have had no major problems till now.

I normally get a few drops of water running out from the boot catch when I open the boot after it rains but it has never been enough of a problem to cause me to lse any sleep over it but today when I opened my boot quite a shower came out and the carpet was soaking wet on both sides of the car (but more so on the passenger side) and when I lifted the carpet and removed the sparewheel cover there was about 2 1/2 inches of water in the spare wheel well.

I am aware of the problem with the pipe splitting on the rear washers but I don't use the rear windscreen washer enough to account for this amount of water in the boot ( plus it was just plain water and contained no screen wash) so the question is  ...... Are there any other other common areas that the water could be into the boot lid?

All help gratefully received.

Offline Pog_Mahone

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2007
Re: swimming pool in my boot.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:39 pm »
I had the same problem on my 52 plate mazda6, the small compartment where the jack was kept was completely full of water. It also came in the passenger door on drivers side, the carpet just behind drivers sest was soaking, i think that it may have been because the seal was split on the botttom of the door.No idea why it came in the boot though, sorry  :-\

Offline mask34

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:16:12 pm »
Hi and thanks for the reply ...... if I get some time on the weekend I'll check the seal around the boot for splits.

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Diesel
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 11:56:52 pm »
a very common issue on a previous car was the seal around the rear light cluster. it would certainly be worth a look because in some serious cases the spare wheel well had a good 4 inch of water in it!

Offline mask34

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:34:18 am »
Again thanks for taking the trouble to respond ..... I'll check the light seals out when I am checking the boot seal. If the seals round the lights are perished/damaged can you buy replacement seals or is it a case of out with the clear silicone to reseal them ?

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:04 pm »
ive found where all the water is gathering in the boot!
drops coming off the boot catch shows the space inside the boot (where the lights are) is full enough so its overflowing out of the lock. its gathering inside the bood lid, so it must be coming through one of the lights. seems theres no drain in the boot door, so it is free to collect. i took about half a pint out of mine. you need to pull one of the rubber stoppers off the bottom of the boot door, and it will all pour out. however, to have it on the passenger floor, im not sure where that is coming from.

Offline priordan

• S Class
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 03:37:33 pm »
Hi Pog,
A common problem with water in the passenger footwell usually cause by blocked drain holes. You'll probably find the rear passenger footwell is damp too.
Most likely solution as follows.

1. Park sideways on a hill (the steeper the better) with the passenger side lower than the drivers. (Or just jack up the drivers side)
2. open passenger door
3. run your hand under the sill and you should feel a 2" wide weather strip running from just behind the front wheel arch all the way to the rear.
4. Starting at the front of the strip, CAREFULLY lever it downwards - the retaining clips/grommets will pop out
5. water should start pouring out.!!
6. Clean out the drainholes with a plastic rod
7. Clean the weather strip and pop back in.

If that results in no water draining out, check your drain pipes from the sunroof.

Finally if all drain holes mentioned above are clear then you're looking at either an a/c problem or a loose/missing rubber grommet around one if the wiring looms feeding through the bulkhead (unlikely)

Hope this helps.

Offline Nigel 206

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:46:52 pm »
Today, 4 inches of clear clean water found in spare wheel well and jack spot, immersing the sub-woofer!
Anyway, dryed out the hi-fi, still works fine, but where T F is all this aqua coming from? I also have
water running out of the hatch on both sides when I open it. Huge amount getting in somehow.

One already mentioned item: I changed the near-side rear outer lamp unit 4 months ago....no idea
how good the seal is, it appeared to have no faults when I fitted it.

My dad suggested the sun roof may be a cause.....worth checking with a hose pipe.
Further investigation will be required I think.

Offline pw485

• S Class
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:55:38 pm »
Like others I found a large amount of water in the boot of my 2008 Mazda 6 hatchback. This was in the jack well, spare wheel compartment and the void below the nearside trim in the boot. I took out all the trim and the rear light clusters and began hours of investigation with gallons of water and food colouring. I found water was getting through the seal around the rear offside light cluster. Also water was getting in through the hole in which the rear bumper is screwed into the bodywork behind the light cluster (rubber seal perished) this was the same on both sides. The most worrying point was on the nearside about an inch and half below the screw hole for the bumper there is a join where two metal panels meet and appear bonded together. I was able to get a finger nail into a gap in the join and when tested found a lot of water getting through this gap and running on the inside of metal panels and appearing in the boot. I sealed all three areas on both sides with bathroom sealant. The screw fixing the bumper needs to be removed and the white plastic thingymabob that holds it to the bodywork needs to be carefully prized out. Sealer then put on the backside of this and then replaced. A friend will need to carefully hold the bumper away from the bodywork whilst you do this, it will give just enough room without taking off the bumper. Also whilst holding bumper away you can also seal the joint. Seal around the hole for the light cluster, then replace everything. This cost me £2.50 and several hours (mostly investigation) but was a complete success. Two bonded panels leaking and others having the same problem appears to me to be a manufacturing fault! How many other panels through the car are not bonded correctly?

Offline Nigel 206

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Trim: Sport
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:59 pm »
Update to my post Jan 29:

Another 2 inches in wheel well and both side pockets.
Removed nearside light unit again and re-sealed as I found
that the bodywork had been pushed in during the shunt.

Still more water coming in, so i'm going to try pw485's suggestion. Carpet on nearside rear boot very wet,so
I suspect the problem is around this area.

More to follow later!

Offline matt645

• S Class
  • Year: 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 01:35:10 pm »
I had this on my 2003 '6', I found a little black plastic piece above the light cluster in the hatch lip wasn't flush.

I used some silicone sealant on it so the water was channelled away and it never happened again.

Shocked to see someone with a 2008 model has this problem... especially as I just bought a 2008 myself!

Offline Golfer

• S Class
  • Colour: Sparkling Silver (24E) Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
Like others I found a large amount of water in the boot of my 2008 Mazda 6 hatchback. This was in the jack well, spare wheel compartment and the void below the nearside trim in the boot. I took out all the trim and the rear light clusters and began hours of investigation with gallons of water and food colouring.

Hi pw845 - I've just picked up this post while investigating the very same fault with my 57 plate 6 hatchback! 

My problem is, how do you remove the trim panels from inside the boot?  I mean the ones shrouding the wheel arches on both sides.  I can't see any obvious screws/clips etc.  The luggage strap anchor points seem to be bolted in but there is a black plastic cover over them and no clear way to get them out.  Likewise, I assume there must be a few clips on the rear of the trim panels but where do you pull to prise them out?  I'm reluctant to just start heaving away in case I damage something!

My main concern is the void on the nearside - mine gets full of water which then slops over into the spare wheel well.  This cavity contains quite a lot of wiring!  The boot carpet is dry and there are no track marks down the insides of the boot so my assumption is the water is getting in from the side gutters - either behind the black plastic trim above the rear light clusters, under the tailgate strut mountings or likewise the anti-vibration blocks in the gutters.  Either way, I need to get the trims off so I can see the path of the water.

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Rich

PS - I'm looking for a Haynes manual (or similar) for this model but the only one I found is for the USA version - does anyone know if there's a repair manual available for the UK?

Offline Wombat

• S Class
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 05:26:32 pm »
Hi,

I have posted against the other thread for this problem on the '57 6.

Here is a photo of the weld, you'll need to zoom a bit.

Regards, etc.

[attachment deleted by admin]