Author Topic: Genuine wide angle reverse camera installed  (Read 4575 times)

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Genuine wide angle reverse camera installed
« on: June 16, 2018, 10:45:14 pm »
I bought a nasty reverse camera on eBay for £6.99 that failed to live up to its advertised expectations.

It wasn't wide angle and gave a flat an zoomed in 40degree field of view instead of a claimed 170degrees.  The camera was useless in low light and pointless in the dark.

The buyer offered my 99p as compensation, and refused to refund me my money, and I'm in dispute with eBay as they won't stop him from false advertising and mis-selling.

See this image that shows a small food waste bin positioned 1metre behind the car. 

Now look and compare the new camera below that offers nearer to 170degrees of view.  That bin is still 1 metre away.  There's a big difference.  To give you another idea of how wide that view is, my dropped kerb is 2metres wide at the kerb stone.

So this is the alternative.  I forgot I bought this 4 years ago for my old Saab 9000 from a German eBay seller for £19 and didn't get round to fitting it.   This camera is only activated when I go into reverse.

As you can see, the frame doesn't illegally obscure the registration plate lettering.

Below is that same bin placed 8inches from the back of my car.  Notice that I've lowered the angle of the camera so I can just see the edge of my bumper - which I prefer.  It looks as if my bumper is bent, but this is how a true fish-eye lens depicts an image at the edge of the frame.  I have since adjusted the two yellow vertical lines on the parallelogram to more accurately reflect against the lines in relation to a car park bay.

Here's a link to what I did:
https://ibb.co/album/dkdXaa
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:49:29 pm by aeroadster »